Breeding Unsure Question

1. JoeEse7en Member Member

Hi there ladies and gentelmen!!!

So I think (almost sure) two of my Yellow Top Mbambas just mated. He's been flashing for her these past few days and today they've been "nipping" at each other's anal fins. Now she's got the chunky cheeks. So IF I'm correct with this...

What am I supposed to do? I'm pretty sure my other cichlids will devour the fry so I know I need to separate them but my tank is already overstocked so I don't wanna keep them. Idk what to do about breeding. It wasn't an intention but I kinda knew it was gonna happen with 30 fish in a tank it was bound to am I right???

So when do I remover her/them and how long do I keep them together? What do i do with the fry after i seperate them with their mama? Do i take em to my lfs and sell them? Can i sell them?

This is where I don't know a darn thing about the hobby. I thought this wasn't going to happen for a while. They are still small. Like 2" maybe. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Joey

2. Demeter Well Known Member Member

If you want to raise them, then you will need to separate the female while she is still holding. Most female hold for around 3 weeks. A grow out tank is needed, something around 29gal should do perfectly fine. It's best to raise the fry till their around 1.5-2 inches before you sell them. I would ask your local pet stores if they want to trade/buy the fish from you first. Don't want to be stuck with 20ish little cichlids.

I you don't wish to do all the work, just let her spit the fry in the tank. If some make it then that's fine, if not then oh well.

3. JoeEse7en Member Member

Yea see that's what I was thinking for this first "litter?" but the wife said I'm being cruel and that I'm jacked up if I allow that. Lol.

Ugh I'm so conflicted.

Thank you for your input Demeter.

You want any Yellow Top Mbambas?

Say @Demeter do you know if I have to have any special paper work or licenses or anything that is a must to sell or trade fish? I hope that's not a stupid question. I'm just not sure about all this as I stated earlier.

4. Demeter Well Known Member Member

Nope, I simply tank my Africans into the store and hand them off to the usual employee. You might want to take a few pictures of the parents to show that they are legit rather than a cross-breed (which are less desirable but still pretty).

Tell the wife that it is nature, can't change a fish's instinct to eat something smaller. The mother will protect the fry for a while after she spits them, giving them a slightly higher chance of survival. If you really want to raise some w/o separating them then add a ton of rocks. The rocks will protect the fry and keep them hidden away until they are large enough to fend for themselves.

5. JoeEse7en Member Member

Thanks Demeter I appreciate the data. I will talk to my guy. I know he didn't have any of these when I was in the late last month.