Breeding Unique Guppies Help

1. C

Cody Cafazzo Initiate Member

Hi Fish Lore!

First time poster, long time lurker.

I'm considering beginning a new Fish Project, but wanted to reach out for some expert opinion before investing the time and money.

My initial plan (brace yourself, this is going to sound crazy) was to build up a Guppie feeder colony big enough to sustain itself with a predator present, and introduce a turtle into the mix.
    In my process of building the colony and introducing several different types of males to diversify the gene pool, i have managed to breed some very unique and interesting strains.
    Some of them that have caught my eye include Luminescent Pink males, Miniaturized versions of fish i've bought at the store, Some cool Yellow/Orange ones that i believe came from an Albino strain ect. I even have one completely luminescent female that i didn't even think was possible. I can try to get some pictures but that is not from why I'm here right now.

The project I am considering is setting up some separate breeding tanks. I would like to isolate these unique fish, breed them and sell them.

Is there a market for this? Or do people only purchase guppy breeds that are well known?
    Is there anything that will surprise me? (IE not being able to replicate the unique mix of genes that created them)
    Is there a way to buy blank females? I'm not sure the correct way to say this but basically im thinking the blank grey females might be the best way to keep the genes from getting mixed up further and help me isolate the gene pool.

At this point i am considering setting up several 10 gallon tanks, each with the goal of isolating a specific male/males to replicate them.

I currently have a happy and healthy 75 gallon tank (though some may call it over-populated).

Any tips on this will be greatly appreciated.

2. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams Member Member

Personally, when I looked into getting guppies, I only wanted the more rare and prettiest ones I could find. I didn't want just any one I could find in the pet store. You might have to look to see where to sell them but I think there is probably a market for them. That's the only experience I have but I would love to see pictures!