Breeding Trap/Hatchery

lc99

I have two pregnant platies and a couple of days ago I saw one fry swimming about in the tank so I put it in the hatchery that I had bought when I first found out that my fish were pregnant. Because I have two pregnant fish I am not sure which one gave birth to that fry, as they both still have the gravid spot and are still quite big. I moved the baby platy to another tank, and put one of the pregnant fish into the hatchery because I was hoping that it would give birth over night. I woke up that morning and there were no fry in the hatchery. Both the female platies still look pregnant and because one of them must have given birth to that fry, that fish must be having some more very soon. That morning I let the platy that I put in the hatchery out because it was getting too stressed. The last night I put it in the hatchery again (the platy with the largest gravid spot which I thought was more likely to give birth than the other female platy which has a smaller gravid spot) and woke up again this morning and no fry. Today the other pregnant platy has been hiding behind the filter and the male has been chasing/staying with her, should I put this one in the hatchery tonight as she has the white spot, and a fairly big gravid spot. One of these platies must definitely be having their fry soon as one of them must have had one a couple of days ago.

Cygnus

From my little bit of experience and from what I've read, a fish can delay giving birth. Stress, food, water conditions, can all effect it. If the fish is getting stressed being in the breeding trap, I would suggest just letting it give birth in the tank and try rounding up the fry afterward.

You mentioned putting the fry in a different tank, could you move the females to the other tank until they give birth and then take them out?

lc99

Thanks for your reply and advice, my main tank is only 24 litres and the other 'tank' is actually a 4 litre fish bowl (perfect size for fry) which I put the lonesome fry in so I would be able to use the hatchery for the pregnant fish. I thought it would be okay for the fry to live in the fish bowl until it is much bigger because a filter would suck the fry up. If the platy gives birth over night then will the fry get eaten as even though I have plenty of weed and plants, the tank isn't that big, therefore there isn't much place for them to hide. I am quite new to fish and this is the first time that my platies will give birth so any advice would be great!

aylad

There's a Platy FAQ in the platy forum that covers the basics pretty well, in the opinion of its author.

The bowl should be fine for fry if you can keep it heated and filtered. Look at getting a corner filter, filling it with gravel from your main tank (for bacteria), and hooking it to a weak air pump. Too big of an air pump will make too much current, but a small one should be fine.

The bigger issue is that platies need more than 24 liters. That tank is already overcrowded, unfortunately, and you're talking about adding more fish (through breeding). Watching platy fry grow is exciting, but don't forget the needs of the adult fish.

lc99

I have already put gravel in the fish bowl and some weed, that was the first thing that I did. The Platy I have are temperate and they live in a coldwater tank.

aylad

...Platies are tropical fish... unless you're talking about some species other than Xiphophorus maculatus or X. variatus?

lc99

I have Variatus Platy

aylad

Well, it's at least subtropical. I recommend getting a heater and a larger tank, and I also recommend double-checking all of the advice you got from the person who told you that platies are coldwater fish.

lc99

I know that platies are usually tropical fish, I got Variatus platy because they were temperate and so they could go into my coldwater tank.

Teishokue

Platys will tolerate a great degree. Although with a warmer temperature, there comes a shorter lifespan. Platys will mature faster in warmer waters and slower in cooler.

lc99

Yep, thanks for you reply, I love the fact that they make my cold water tank look like a tropical tank because they are so vibrant in colour!

lc99

Just found another baby fish in my tank!

Smallfry70

This is all very interesting to me as I am new to all this and my platy is ready to have fry ... At least, I think. She is certainly pregnant and seems 'squared' in the belly. The pet store told me to keep the tank at 80F. Does this make sense? Also.... I have my mom-to-be in a birthing, floating box but I really don't know if I should leave her there or not. She must want out but .... We never seem to see fry. Is our frog eating them? What do you recommend ?

lc99

HI Smallfry! I have tried to use the hatchery/breeding trap with little success. Infact both the fry I have I seen swimming in my tank. Your frog probably could be eating them, but Platies eat their own babies so it could be them. My platies are still pregnant even though they must of had some fry already. This is my first time aswell as you, the fish seem to get stressed out in the breeding trap so maybe let your platy give birth in the tank. Fry are very good at hiding, weeds and plants are good places for them. I hope this has helped, I am no expert but I know some information! Good luck, it is great to see the fry grow up!

Smallfry70

Thank you for your response. I let her out of the box and she looks happier. Good luck with your fish!

lc99

Thanks very much, let me know how you fish get on!

Smallfry70

HI Ic 99!I thought I would share my experience with you.... I let the platy out of the breeding box but did not realize until later that there were 6 fry in the breading box! They are so tiny and at first glance I did not notice. I was excited and horrified at the same time. My opportunity to contain her while dropping fry was gone. But I sat by the tank most of the day and rescued 8 more. I have 14 thriving fry in the little floating box. I have also noticed at least 2 little fry hiding in the grass. It has been so enjoyable watching this process. How are your little fry?

lc99

Good thank you, I found another one a couple of days ago so jow have three in total! Both the platies are still pregnant so I am expecting to find more soon!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lc99
  • Question
  • Jragan23
  • Platy
Replies
Views
WateryDreams
  • Question
  • My Betta Moonstone