breeding tiger barbs

1. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Have you ever had any experience with male Tigers killing a female when there's more males than females? I see no reason for a Tiger which I just had die, die, but I have seen her specifically being rubbed side to side by two males and then chased over the last couple of days.

2. whisper Well Known Member Member

Tiger Barbs are naturally aggressive fish. I suppose that could happen. When I breed them I only put one male and one female together. I do have a group of them in my community tank and they chase each other around but I have never had one die from it.

3. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Ok, it seems the stress of trying to breed mixed with a Rainbow Shark that I've just seen defending it's territory is most likely the problem. I just re-arranged the tank and probably forced them to live too close to each other. The open space is all at one end and the rocks are all at the other... I'll space them more. Hope that works.

Just literally saw the Rainbow Shark run straight in the side of a Tiger Barb and then try to go straight to do it again... Yikes... It's going after the biggest Tiger Barb in the group, too, which is surprising because the Shark is probably not as big in body mass as the Barb!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Hi tim..ive moved your post to its own thread so the OP's thread doesnt loose track on what they were asking...this way you can have your own advice :)

rainbows sure are aggressive buggers arent they....hope the barbs are ok!

5. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Thanks.

He killed one Tiger Barb on 12/15 (which I initially thought was breeding aggression between the Tigers) and today another has lost swim-bladder control I believe (looks perfectly healthy but on his right side there's been an obvious attack - pinkness - looks like cuts). He is upright - so maybe he just needs time, but he is swimming at the surface. Other Tigers also have injuries in the middle of their bodies and whenever the Shark moves they are darting away from him.

I called around and a local pet store will take him. Won't give me any money for him but it's better than euthanizing.

I simply cannot believe what I've seen today. He was so docile and then just turned! He tried to punch a hole through their bodies with his head... Unbelievable...