Breeding tank

1. Spectralflux Initiate Member

I have a pair of honey gouramis a beautifule male. And female and I have read menu post on how to breed them and I am still left with a few smaller question left that I really hope some one can answer

1.). Will a 1 gallon tank be big enough tank for. A breeding tank

2.) how can you tell when the female is ready to spawn. And if she is not. Is there any thing to help her get ready faster

3.) what should all in the breeding tank

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

You need at least a 5g to breed but preferably a 10g.

Females will bulk up when they are ready to spawn. I'd keep her with the male so they spawn when she is ready. To help prepare the pair for spawning you should feed high protein foods.

A breeding tank should include a few caves and some larger floating plants. Also you can put in a styrofoam cup that has been cut in half. The plants and the cup will provide places for the male to build a bubblenest.

3. Spectralflux Initiate Member

How would you put the. Cup in there floating or on the bottem and I do not have

Space for a 5 gallon or have one just my. Big community tank my nurcery tank and the 1 gallon tank so you. Don't think it will work or will it be harder

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Wont work in a 1gal You need a 10gallon imo. Also, your writing is a bit hard to understand. Ra gave you good guidlines. Besides, you would need a 40-55gallon tank for the fry as they grow.

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

This is what the cup should look like - Betta-Breeding-Tank.jpg

Well if you don't have space for a 5 or 10g then I wouldn't breed your fish just yet. Wait till you have the funds or space to do it. I don't think it will work out in a 1g because you need a grow out tank for the numerous fry and the male will probably harm or kill the female in such a small tank.