Breeding tank clean up crew

1. p

potatos Valued Member Member

Hi,

My 10 gallon fry tank has java moss, gravel, and 2 breeding nets containg different sizes of fry. I am looking for something that will eat algae and left over fish food, but will not eat my fry or have a huge bioload. i tried mystery snails but they died and fowled my water. would shrimp do, or would they eat my babies? thanks,
    mike

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

You can try shrimps I don't think they will go after fry if they have plenty of foods. I recommend Red Cherry Shrimps.

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

You can do a Mystery Snail they'd do a good job and wont eat your fry unless they die.

4. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

My cherry shrimp are very dedicated cleaners/fry sitters :)

If anything, I find my very curious platy fry will very occasionally experimentally nip the shrimp's tail, but the shrimp just bounces off, while the baby goes investigates something else. The shrimp's pincers are no way near enough big enough to go for babies, unless they're teeny tiny hatchlings that can't swim. Then I guess there would be a slight possibility.

5. OP
    OP
    p

thanks for the suggestions. im not sure why my snails died, but they may be worth another shot. I need something for the tank itself, and something to go in the breeder nets to pick up food. they range from 3mm to 1.5cm, the smallest of which are still yolk feeding. at what size would they be safe with shrimp? maybe small snails (trumpet or ramshorn) in the baby nets and shrimp in the open tank?

6. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I have cherry shrimp in with my N.Brevis fry and the smallest fry I've put with them were about 3mm :)

7. OP
    OP
    p

oh that sounds good. i will read up on them. will they need a lot of extra feeding, or will algae, java moss, fish waste, and old fish food over it? and can i get them to breed? and wil they eat algae, or should i try snails or ottos for that? thanks

8. platy ben

I don't do anything special for my red cherry shrimps and I have had my breeding colony for about 2 years. Once they setlle in they will breed readily. I don't even specifically feed mine, they just live off the scraps they can find :)

9. OP
    OP
    p

Oh thats great, thanks. although that from what i have read, the female will drop her eggs if stressed. dose that mean i cant do a gravel vacume or water change while she has the eggs?

10. platy ben

My shrimp lay their eggs up on the back corner of my tank so I never worry about it.

11. OP
    OP
    p

oh that works:). thanks for the consistent help

12. coffeebean

coffeebean Well Known Member Member

snails, shrimp or otos would be my picks. i have all three plus cory cats in my fry tank.

13. OP
    OP
    p

thanks for the replys. Do any of them eat eggs of egg scatterers? i know cories do, and ottos probably dont, but im not sure about snails or shrimp. these are zebra danio fry by the way.

if i got shrimp, do they need gravel, or will a large clump of java moss suffice? and would a HOB powerfilter with a sponge and pantyhoes over the intake be too powerful? sorry about all the questions, i have never had shrimp before and reacherch online has not answered all my questions

14. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

where can i buy red cherry shrimps?

15. platy ben

kuba please create your own thread to ask this question, it will get more responses there.

16. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

I think that you should get a bristlenose pleco, a SAE or an oto. But you could try shrimp like other members have suggested.
    Good luck with your tank.
    When you decide what to get, post some pics of your tank.

Jake

17. platy ben

Bearing in mind the tank he wants a cleaner for is a 10G, neither of these would work to well. Also, Bristlenose plecos will eat fry.

18. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.

I would suggest that you not add anything else to your fry tank. Fry are very sensitive to water conditions and I seriously doubt that you have room for any more fish or critters. You can use a turkey baster to siphon the debris from the bottom of their tank. An algae scrubber will do well to remove the algae.

Best wishes and I hope you can share some photos with us sometime!
    Ken

19. OP
    OP
    p

Thanks for the replys again. Aquariarist48, do you think shrimp would be ok? all i currently have is gravel, java moss, one nerite snail, and fry. much of the food i feed is not eaten, and i feed quite regularly, so their is a lot of extra food. the gravel and moss makes removal of food difficult besides when i use a gravel vac during a 50% water change. I think taht many of the smaller fry do not survive the large water change, and thought shrimp could help clean up the extra food and keep the water cleaner. what do you think? i currently have a small box filter and gravel from my established tank (for the bacteria) because a HOB power filter sends my fry flying. I do not plan on adding any fish besides fry, since i dont need an otto thanks to the snail.