Breeding Snails?

dagoothebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
c1319687c3109ff959b339e46f9b2467.jpg

adb8846435c17a73f8272c27c17d145f.jpg

What are these snails doing? I got out of bed because I thought I heard a noise and everything is fine but these two snails are up to something. The black one is wrapped around the gold one and the gold one looks like he keeps throwing his back around trying to throw the black one off.

dagoothebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What would even come out of these two color combinations? Actually how do they get their color in the first place?

dagoothebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After discussing with a couple people at local fish shops it is believed he was just eating algae off the others back.

dagoothebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never found any clutches and eventually separated them. The black one was eating far more than the other and the gold wasn't getting enough food I think. The black one climbed on the gold one several times and every time the gold one would shake it's shell around like it wanted to other off.

maeh22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely mating! If you want to put them back together you can place food in two different places in the tank and put one snail on each then once they leave the food, put one piece of food in a central area. If you don't want up to 200 baby snails you can simply remove the egg clutches after a day or so and put them in the freezer to kill them. I'm not sure what color the two would produce but snails get their color from both the shells and the foot (body). A gold snail has a white foot and a gold shell. A black snail has a purple/black shell with a black foot. A blue has a white/yellowish shell and a black foot. An ivory aka white snail has a white foot and a white shell. A magenta snail has a white foot and a purple shell. A purple snail has a black foot and a purple shell. I hope this helps you understand better.

Oh yeah, since they mated I think you can expect an egg clutch even though they are separated. I believe female mystery snails can hold sperm for up to a year but don't quote me on that. I'm here if you need any further help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom