Breeding Silver Lyretail Mollies

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just bought one male and one female silver lyretail molly. Right now they are in a 25 gallon, planted aquarium all by themselves and I know that livebearers aren't hard to breed, but does anyone have any advice on how to get a healthy batch of fry? Or advice on how to breed them?

THANKS!

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you can get at least another female. IME with guppies, the male will harass the females to death if you can't split his attention. after that just let them go and feed brineshrimp (frozen or live) and a mix of other high quality foods good luck
Josh

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to buy some more plants so I'll pick up another female or two while I'm there

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really like my Silver Lyretail Mollie, she is very pretty. Make sure you have a breeder box or net so you can separate the fry from the other fish after birth to prevent the parents from eating them. Make sure your water levels are steady and keep up with your water changes. You should have fry in no time.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bad news everyone my male molly died. It wasn't eating and it started to develop this redness around it's mouth area, none of the other mollies have it and the females are all eating. Any ideas if this was something with the water or a disease of some sort? My water parameters are amonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates 5. The ph is 7.3 and the temp 78F

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What type of testing equipment do you have? The strips or the liquid test kit?

And your profile says you have two tanks, were these fish your cycled or currently cycled tank?

Also, that common pleco you have is going to get way to big for your 29 gallon tank. A smaller pleco like a Bristlenose would work, but a common one will grow to about 16 inches.

Edit: I read your first post that says your Mollies were in the 25 gallon, but your profile says its currently cycling. It kind of sounds like ammonia poisoning to me. You'll have to do frequent water changes in order to keep the ammonia down.

Last edited:

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry guys I haven't updated my aquarium info in ages. I'll update it now, but the 25 is now completely cycled. And my pleco I'm going to move to a new 48g but it is currently cycling, I hope it will be a speedy cycle because it has filter media and some gravel from one of my established tank. And my test kit is an API liquid one. I'm a little concerned that my pH is too high, but does anyone know if mollies like a lower or higher pH?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mollies are thriving in 8.0-8.2 pH. I keep reading that as long as you acclimate them slowly and keep the pH consistent, fish, for the most part, should be ok.

-Lisa

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was at the LFS yesterday and I saw a beautiful creamscile lyretail molly, and I couldn't resist so I came home with another buddy. After she was fully acclimated my silver male lyretail wouldn't leave her alone, but I saw him mate with her YAY!!! She is the only female that allows him to mate with her, the other two female silver lyretails refuse him everytime lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom