Breeding Shrimp to feed fish

Leeman75
I'm in the information gathering phase for my next project tank.

Does anyone breed shrimp as food for their fish? I'm kind of interested in maybe breeding Ghost Shrimp for my mid-size SA Cichlid tanks. I see LFSs have them typically for pretty cheap, so I'm thinking about maybe starting a colony to breed for feed. Does anyone do that? If I did that, could I keep a few nicer shrimp as just fun to keep and not feed (like Cherries) in the same tank?

Advertisement
AggressiveAquatics
I breed cherries to give to my flowerhorn because it’s hard for him to see the clear ghost shrimp

Leeman75
I breed cherries to give to my flowerhorn because it’s hard for him to see the clear ghost shrimp

See, I thought about that, but I'm afraid that any colored shrimp I breed that I'll like too much to then feed to the fish. If I have colorless shrimp, I think that will make it much easier.

AggressiveAquatics
See, I thought about that, but I'm afraid that any colored shrimp I breed that I'll like too much to then feed to the fish. If I have colorless shrimp, I think that will make it much easier.
You could do Amano shrimp because they have some color but not stunning colors

jkkgron2
Don’t Amano shrimp need brackish or salt water to breed?

Leeman75

The issue that I've found is that Amano shrimp around here (when I can find them) are typically like $5 each at the cheapest. Whereas I can get the Ghost Shrimp for $0.50 each.

AggressiveAquatics
Don’t Amano shrimp need brackish or salt water to breed?
Only true amano shrimp do most of the ones you see at stores aren’t real amano shrimp

7D0463D9-DAAB-4DDA-8373-A32E40EE199B.png

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
Replies
Views
Algonquin
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies