Breeding Setup For Cichlids

Ashy777

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone.so i decided to let my guppy breeding take care of itself so onto a new challenge...i need advice on:
A) smallest tank size for breeding cichlids
B) simple cichlids to breed that dont grow bigger than a palm as well as were i can keep multiple together
C) tank setup.(gravel, rocks, heating etc)
D) type of plants i can keep safely

I want to start this tank off from scratch and as close to reality for them as possible. Thanks

Levinofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ashy777 said:
Hi everyone.so i decided to let my guppy breeding take care of itself so onto a new challenge...i need advice on:
A) smallest tank size for breeding cichlids
B) simple cichlids to breed that dont grow bigger than a palm as well as were i can keep multiple together
C) tank setup.(gravel, rocks, heating etc)
D) type of plants i can keep safely

I want to start this tank off from scratch and as close to reality for them as possible. Thanks
Shellies or mabey apisto's or kribensis or dwarfs from lake (tyaganika) I don't know if I right it correctly
I think all is te minimum 20 gallon

Soham

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Levinofish said:
Shellies or mabey apisto's or kribensis or dwarfs from lake (tyaganika) I don't know if I right it correctly
I think all is te minimum 20 gallon
hey,all of the above are shell dwellers and not suitablle for beginners......apristogammas need 30g plus tank if housing more than a male!!
better to go for convicts.....very easy to breed.....and yes kribs are a good option too

Levinofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Soham said:
hey,all of the above are shell dwellers and not suitablle for beginners......apristogammas need 30g plus tank if housing more than a male!!
better to go for convicts.....very easy to breed.....and yes kribs are a good option too
Convicts are indeed easy to breed but not a beginner fish they are very aggressive

Ashy777

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys..kribs are such a mission to find here in the southern suburbs in cape town convicts are great had about 8 before.okay lets say we settle on convicts.whats the next step concerning plants and rocks

Soham

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Levinofish said:
Convicts are indeed easy to breed but not a beginner fish they are very aggressive
yaa i agree that they r aggressive...but they r alot hardy as welll....very easy to breed...whereas apristos and kribs require little care!!

Ashy777 said:
Thanks guys..kribs are such a mission to find here in the southern suburbs in cape town convicts are great had about 8 before.okay lets say we settle on convicts.whats the next step concerning plants and rocks
You may choose to add some hardier plants such as the java fern or Amazonian sword plant to the tank to add some decoration and make the fish feel more at home in their environment. Most other plants will be uprooted or destroyed by the convicts.
rocks-
Driftwood makes a great addition to your aquarium setup. It provides shelter to your convicts as well as blocks the line of sight from one end of the aquarium to the other, which may help prevent your fish from fighting and injuring each other.
flower pots can be added to...pipes...stones....quite hiding placs....usuallly they lay eggs on flat stones and inside flower pots

Ashy777

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks..i was thinking little flower pots here and ther with some driftwood inbetween and plants to break it up as well as a little "cave" set up on diagnol corners

Soham

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ashy777 said:
Thanks..i was thinking little flower pots here and ther with some driftwood inbetween and plants to break it up as well as a little "cave" set up on diagnol corners
ya go ahead

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Apistos are fine in a 20 long, a pair and some dithers to keep the pair spawning/protective is the best way to do it, you may want to remove free swimmers to another tank to raise so they do not get eaten with stress.

You need to take the time to research and figure what type of cichlid you can handle, what level of care you are willing to get into for the resulting fry, how much time you have to allot to these fish (fry need fed several times a day using live foods that are very small and sometimes annoying to hatch/cultivate, and most new fry will not take nonliving foods) and what fish are popular in your area that you can actually sell - most stores will not take in convict cichlids because they breed like rabbits and as so easy to cultivate, plus they are very cheap to get (so they are going to be getting them from suppliers rather than local breeders), some stores do not even by from local breeders. Some stores only give you a very small amount of store credit for three months of hard work on your part.
You need to think about the time and money you will be putting into the operation of breeding and see if it is actually worth it to you to go ahead and try it. Most stores will not take in fish unless they are 1 inch in size (depending on species and size at adulthood), apistos take 4 months to be 1 inch, most of them start to sex out at that point.
If you do not have buyers for the fish I would not breed them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom