Help Breeding Rosy Barbs

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd like to condition my rosy barbs to try and breed them. Does anyone have any experience with breeding them or anything similar? I've found a little information on the net but not much.

I've got an empty 10 gallon I'd like to use for the breeding tank. Do you suggest marbles or just use the substrate I currently have in it? (A combination of small gravel and some larger river rock type pebbles.) Do I just put the female in there and condition her with good foods for a few days then pop a male in there? Currently all I have 4 males and 3 females schooling together in the same tank. Suggestions welcome and appreciated, in the mean time I'm off to research some more.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it *looks* like they are egg scatterers, that being said, you can use an egg trap like the one dennis did a writeup on, they work awesome and you don't even have to move the fish out of the tank, just pull the trap out every 3 or 4 days and see if you got anything.

OP
Treefork

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh that would really be much handier. I'll check it out. I figured you might reply to this.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
anything to make life easier, it really is a pain trying to move the fish back and forth, and stressing them doesn't help at all.

One thing I noticed with some of my fish, if I leave the egg trap in there, after a week I will start seeing fry swimming around. With enough plant coverage I think they would make it, I know I have several that are a month or older and still doing well.

New Threads