Breeding Red Cherry Shrimp

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Phikmis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. PhikmisValued MemberMember

Hello!
    I have a male and female red cherry shrimp that I bought a few months ago. I love them so much, I want them to breed so I can put rcs in all my tanks. Whats the best way to do that? I have small tanks, heaters, air stones, decor, ect that I can use. They are currently in a 10 gallon. Not sure how old they are though.
    Thanks!

2. kluggyValued MemberMember

Giving them hiding places and keeping them fed would promote breeding, if you've had them for a few months and they haven't bred yet there could be something wrong. Are you able to post pictures of them both?

3. aqurium_2017New MemberMember

I keep my Cherry Shrimp 5.5 drift wood and java moss can help when the baby's are born and have a place to hide and eat micro organisms. But keep them well fed any food works perfectly shrimps are not picky eaters at all trust me

The bigger they are the more likely there older. My females are quite big but they're only a month old.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  4. JunneFishlore LegendMember

What are your water parameters? Are they in a cycled tank? I have hard water and ph is around 8.0. Mine started breeding in my 5 gallon about a month after getting them. I have my temps set at 74/75 degrees and lots of java moss and moss balls. I feed them shrimp pellets, algae wafers and fresh raw zucchini.

Now, the shrimp tank is 14 months old and they breed out of control. I take handfuls out ( maybe 50-100 every other month to give to lfs )
    Once they start, they don't stop.

rcs 8-25-16.jpgrcs 2-8-17.jpg

5. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Ideally you want to start with around 10 or so shrimp for breeding to help with some diversification and give everyone a few options. In a 10 gallon with just those 2 shrimp they may not be able to easily find each other when it's time. I have heard you can help to induce molting and/or breeding by doing a water change with slightly colder water than your tank. This sort of triggers them to think it's spring time and fresh rain/water season. Or at least the theory goes....

Here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with fresh water shrimp...

Freshwater Shrimp Keeping

6. MaeKayValued MemberMember

That link goes to a 2005 post about selling fish. I'm curious to read the correct post, though!

But how much do you feed them? I only have 5 (plus at least 2 babies...one came home from the store berried) and feed them the Hikari crab cuisine. I was putting in 5 pellets a day but I don't want to overfeed. I haven't gotten around to putting veggies in there because I haven't purchased zucchini in a while. They didn't seem at all interested in my strawberry offering. There are no other fish in this tank.

Long term how do you maintain healthy diversity? Should you introduce new stock every once in a while? If so, how often?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  7. kluggyValued MemberMember

Most people suggest feeding as much as the shrimp can eat within 2 hours and fresh veggies a couple of times a week, that seems to work for me.

stocking 10 is generally all the stocking that needs to be done as they are prolific breeders and will build up to a huge stock in no time.

8. JunneFishlore LegendMember

With my shrimp, even though theres a million of them in the 5 gallon tank, I feed 2 pellets a day + keep zucchini in it all the time. This helps keep the tank cycled, otherwise I don't know if it would maintain a cycle even with so many shrimp because they are so low on the bioload... My Nitrates are under 20 and I do a 50% water change every 2 weeks.

9. pattybrownNew MemberMember

80 deg h2O all the foods that sink and special food for them also. The planted tank is the key I think.

10. pattybrownNew MemberMember

Must be 100 in my tank. Lost 1/2 message above. They at everything and spawn continuously. Guppies/rainbows/plecos/catfish/big clowns/angels all together.

11. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

A few things...

My link works, but there is a known glitch when using the mobile app that causes this, if you use the regular website, the link should work.

A good rule of thumb for feeding, is to feed the equivalent to the size of their eyeball per day. So basically, one tiny spec per shrimp per day. Their main food is biofilm which naturally occurs on all surfaces of the tank. We are just "supplementing" by adding any additional food.

As for bio-diversity, a good stable colony shouldn't have any issues, once things get going they take care of themselves. Many shrimp keepers suggest adding some new bloodlines every year or 2. Often they will coordinate a free trade with another shrimp keeper so both people can improve their diversity a bit.

12. MaeKayValued MemberMember

Good to know! I feel like I've seen that glitchy link before and I'm almost predominantly on the app. I'll use the desktop site to view it.

My tanks is only 3 months old but heavily planted, has lots of java moss, and I keep the lights on for 13 hours a day to create some algae. I'm using a basic Tetra 10 HOB with a pre-filter sponge and an XY-2831 sponge filter. Now that I just have shrimp in there I may just use the sponge.