Breeding Rcs - Tips, Success Stories, Terrible Failures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so first off, I'm relatively new to the hobby, but I've recently started my first breeding setup that I've got some guppies and RCS happily housed in. I found that a lot of the best advice I've gotten on getting them set up to thrive has come from forums, so if anyone has any questions I'll help with what I've found so far, and I'm sure others would love to contribute.

Two things that I've been wondering myself are...
A) I've got two ghost shrimp that I added before the cherries to make sure that if shrimp were going to die, it would be a $.60 mishap vs a $25 one, which I've made the mistake of doing before -_- anyway my RCS are berried and happy in this new setup, but I've heard that ghost shrimp will just eat thru all the babies. Is this true? Do I need to pull out the ghosties? If they eat one or two I won't mind, would be nice actually so the population doesn't explode.

B) What have you guys found to be the most ethical way of culling unwanted shrimp? I obviously want to breed towards a desired color/morph, so culling in this new setup is a must!

Thanks
- Cody

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice job on the shrimp tank! Erm, ok...

A) ive never had ghost shrimp, but i believe they should be fine. I know that the whisker shrimp (or whatever its called) is often mistaken for ghost shrimp but are incredibly aggressive and attack fish. Also RCS will keep their own population in check so either way if you have another tank i see no reason to leave the ghost shrimp in there.

B) any shrimp that dont meet my cut i scoop out and move to a different tank. I have several tanks... all of which have their own shrimp populations now from the culls (lol). Sometimes the shrimp get eaten (my angels are notorious for this) but theres usually a few that survive and then clean up the algae etc in their new home.
One thing about culling from your shrimp tank though - juveniles dont have much color (at least mine colored up later) so i would take these full grown shrimp out of my tank and move them... then 2 weeks later i would have have beautiful red shrimp in one of my "cull tanks." Because they colored up after i moved them (oops).

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My population exploded when I upped the temp to 78-79 and started using bacter ae, not sure if coincidence or not but my 5g is thriving. Agree on culling, mine always color up as adults and are usually berried before the desire color so pulling them has been difficult. Good luck!

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all for the well wishes!

Good news/bad news update. Bad news is that one of my berried shrimp (she was berried when I got her in the original batch of 8, of which 2 died in the first few days) dropped her eggs due to stress or something (water parameters were stable the whole time). Good news is the other berried female is still going strong.

I've been a little concerned though. My berried female has basically found a secluded spot against the back of the tank wedged between a rock and the tank wall. She's not stuck, but she hasn't come out from that spot in days. Is this brooding behavior typical with cherry shrimp? Or is this a sign she's sick and probably going to die soon from the initial stress of the transfer? (Nitrites were a little high when I first added the shrimp, I was impatient I know, a mistake I'm sure we've all unfortunately made).

Any feedback would be appreciated, since if this behavior is unusual I will probably get some more cherries from my LFS today (they get new stock in and I can probably get some berried females)

- Cody

Nice job on the shrimp tank! Erm, ok...

A) ive never had ghost shrimp, but i believe they should be fine. I know that the whisker shrimp (or whatever its called) is often mistaken for ghost shrimp but are incredibly aggressive and attack fish. Also RCS will keep their own population in check so either way if you have another tank i see no reason to leave the ghost shrimp in there.

B) any shrimp that dont meet my cut i scoop out and move to a different tank. I have several tanks... all of which have their own shrimp populations now from the culls (lol). Sometimes the shrimp get eaten (my angels are notorious for this) but theres usually a few that survive and then clean up the algae etc in their new home.
One thing about culling from your shrimp tank though - juveniles dont have much color (at least mine colored up later) so i would take these full grown shrimp out of my tank and move them... then 2 weeks later i would have have beautiful red shrimp in one of my "cull tanks." Because they colored up after i moved them (oops).
Oh also I went ahead and took your advice and transferred my ghost shrimp into my danio tank in my kitchen. They seem to like it and now I can sleep soundly. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I cull my RCS I sell them. I usually get enough to pay for some new SS grade & shipping, and I get fresh genes that way.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha yeah that's the dream. Like honestly, that's my goal with this tank. To sell the extra guppies and RCS and in a perfect world, run my tank with $0 net cost to myself.

Where do you sell your cherries? I've spoken to my LFS about it but they typically only buy aesthetically pleasing products, not sure they'd want my culls.
When I cull my RCS I sell them. I usually get enough to pay for some new SS grade & shipping, and I get fresh genes that way.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha yeah that's the dream. Like honestly, that's my goal with this tank. To sell the extra guppies and RCS and in a perfect world, run my tank with $0 net cost to myself.

Where do you sell your cherries? I've spoken to my LFS about it but they typically only buy aesthetically pleasing products, not sure they'd want my culls.
I live in the middle of nowhere, so 2 of the 3 chains readily buy my culls. The RCS they order in are B grade if they're lucky, and have about a 50% survival rate, so my culls are deemed better quality even if it's C grade.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I live in the middle of nowhere, so 2 of the 3 chains readily buy my culls. The RCS they order in are B grade if they're lucky, and have about a 50% survival rate, so my culls are deemed better quality even if it's C grade.
Hey not a bad point. My LFS is the only one around for miles, not counting the Petco and PetSmart in my local town. I guess absolute worst I could trade them for other cherries just to keep the diversity up. Who knows, maybe they'll buy them anyway.

Thanks for the advice though, really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom