Breeding Question

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

What's a high demand fish that you don't find much that i could breed and sell? Just trying to make a little profit.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Bettas. Hands down. Make sure you breed high quality ones though!

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

I thought there were a lot of betta breeders? Plus bettas are literally in every fish and pet store.

Advertisement

4. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

bettas are one of the hardest fish to breed.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Not to me. The process seems understandable. I thought betta breeders were popular. Guess not.

6. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Most killifish species arent availible in stores, and as such are often overlooked. But they tend to he hardy and if you choose one of the more colorful or active species you shouldnt have too much trouble selling them.

Dario dario is another good choice but are more. Common (still cant find in your average lfs though).

Edit: if you are willing to put a lot of time into it, you could breed discus (good quality adults sell ~ $70-$100 each) or you can go for fish that are harder to breed (like puffers) but that aquariasts still desire.

7. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Oh before you get into this, listen to Aquarium Co-Op's 'how to make $1000 breeding fish' series. Seriously.
    It's on You Tube

Spoiler alert the answer is: Guppies, cherry shrimp and Java moss

8. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Look up rare fish species that are in danger and stuff , and High End Quality guppys! Leopard guppys can sell for $40 each! ($30 us?)

9. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

they are but they can have tins of babys i think over 100. housing and caring for would be very hard

10. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Aquarium co op is pretty cool i will be sure to check it out.

I could do killifish. I have never heard of dario dario though now i need to go learn everything about them lol. If i decided to do killifish would i sell them online?

11. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Yeah you could sell them online (are you thinking ebay, craigslist, stuff like that?)
    Also i dont know what you have in your area but lots of fish clubs hold quarterly fish auctions and/or lfs will help advertise or buy fish. Just keep your options open and im sure youll find lots or buyers.

Advertisement