Breeding psudomugil gertrudae?

Spulvert

Hello! I got 6 blue eye spotted rainbows and I'm trying to get them to breed. I've fed live brine and temp is around 78, this is my first time trying to breed anything. I have 2 males and the rest are females. Is it a waiting game or are there steps I could take that will ensure breeding? They are on the smaller side so its possible that theyre not even sexually mature yet but the male is chasing everything around and I heard that could be party of breeding behavior. Any tips and info would be appreciated! The plants I'm running are dwarg sag, italian val, 2 anubias, watersprite and duckweed, no flow in the tank whatsoever. No other inhabitants other than 2 red cherry shrimp and a black carbon. I also have a spawning mop in there but nothing in it.

RobM

It sounds like you have every thing right so just a matter of time.

Some rainbows will eat their eggs so be sure to check the mop a few times a day. They usually breed in the morning hours. If you check the mop at night the eggs might be gone by then.

OP
Spulvert

Spulvert

Thank you! I'll lay low and be patient about it, would you happen around what age they would begin to show mating behavior?

RobM

I mostly keep & breed melanotaenia's so don't know the specifics with psudomugil's but usually around 6 months to a year most rainbows are capable of breeding.

OP
Spulvert

Spulvert

RobM said:
I mostly keep & breed melanotaenia's so don't know the specifics with psudomugil's but usually around 6 months to a year most rainbows are capable of breeding.
I appreciate the help!

New Threads