Breeding Platys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chuy2077, Apr 24, 2018.

1. chuy2077

chuy2077Valued MemberMember

Hello y'all I've been thinking about breeding fish platys an mollies.is there any tricks that get them I'm to breed mode. I've never bread them before. What do I need to do with them

2. Tony M

Tony MValued MemberMember

They’re both very prolific. Keep one male for every two to three females and it will happen. You’ll need to separate the female before she gives birth or the fry will be eaten.

3. WadeEH

WadeEHValued MemberMember

With Platies, Mollies and most other livebearers the trick is to have males and females in the same tank and they will breed. LOL. You really don't have to do anything else to get them to breed. You should have 2 or 3 females for each male to keep down aggression to keep the males form harassing the females too much.

Shoot...Tony M just beat me to it. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  4. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Lol, sit back and watch? If you don't want to be overrun with them then keep the parents in there to thin out the fry. Survival of the fittest...

5. Tony M

Tony MValued MemberMember

Beautiful angel Wade!

6. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Oh my gosh, I glanced real quick when scrolling down, I don't have my glasses on, the picture is dark and was only half paying attention, I completely and honestly thought it was a chocolate lab with its head cocked to the side and ears perks forward. The dark space to the left and behind I thought was the body. o_O

7. Oliver T.

Oliver T.Valued MemberMember

trust me, after a while you'll have or fry then you can count

8. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Not much to it. You just put a few females and a few males together, and then just put in some hiding places for the fry to hide in (such as a hornwort plant). Then just wait. Separating the females before giving birth can cause the female some stress and may have the female give birth prematurely or not give birth at all from the stress.

9. WadeEH

WadeEHValued MemberMember

Thanks. I've had him for about four years and he is the most gentle Angel I have ever seen. He is almost five inches long and has never bothered anyone in the tank. I recently had to rehome a two inch swordtail because it kept picking on the Angel and he wouldn't fight back.

10. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Just to clarify, are you saying you’re trying to breed Platies with Mollies, or are you just wanting to breed both species? Because they can’t cross breed.