Help breeding platys + swordtails

graham50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i just bought 6 platys and 4 swordtails today.When i got them home i noticed one of the swordtails was very fat.As i was looking i also saw one of my platys very fat.She was breathing very fast and swimming near the bottom of the tank.I have a marina breeding box.Should i put her in or would it stress her out to much??

:;hurrybx

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you want to keep the fry? If not, I'd just leave her. Otherwise I'd give her a day or so to adjust to her new home before possibly stressing her out more. Does she have a boxy shape or just fat? Boxy usually means closer to labor.

Platys and swordtails can crossbreed; do you have males and females in your tank?

Do you really have three clown loaches in that small tank?

-Lisa

graham50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yes i would like to keep the fry.She is more fat than boxy id say but she's just lieing on the ground close to the air stone.

Yes i have a mix of males and females in my tank.

The clown loaches are only babies atm.I am hoping on getting a bigger tank soon.But my mam and dad wont let me.I will be getting a new bedroom soon so hopefully they will let me get a fish tank for it!!

thanks!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd just let her chill for a few days and see how she does. Do you have hiding places for fry, like java moss or even a lot of artificial plants? That way even if she does give birth before you get her in the breeder net, the fry will have places to hide from the adults until you can scoop them up.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom