breeding platies 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Platy' started by platyfish, Dec 26, 2009.

1. p

platyfish Valued Member Member

Hello!
    I have a tank filled with platies, tiger barbs and black-skirt tetras along with three plecos. My friend moved and had to get rid of his micky-mouse platy and gave it to me. She is the only of that type in the tank, the rest are all dark red/black and just under 2 inches(full-grown). However, over the last week or so, the yellow micky-mouse platy has nearly tripled her stomach size and there are small black strands visible in her stomach region. Is it possible that one of the red/black platies got her pregnant? I will try to get a picture, but she is hiding in a densely planted area, so thats challenging and I don't really want to yank her out.
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

List your water parameters from your test kits - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Temperature, etc. Ammonia = almost 0.0
    Tell how long your tank has been setup, brief history if you think it is important for your current problem. Tanks has been set up for 4 years
    List all tank mates: Platies, Black skirts, tiger barbs and plecos
    Detail your maintenance procedures - tank cleaning, filter changes, water changes, etc. How often do you do perform these tasks? What kind of foods are you feeding your fish or inverts? Tank cleaning, filter changes and water changes - every other weekend. I am feeding Marineland Tropical
    List tank size, equipment used and any other important details. 75 gallon heavily planted freshwater using marineland filtration system
    Do you know about the aquarium nitrogen cycle? If not, click that link and read that important article. If your tank is cycled, how did you cycle it? yes the tank was cycled for 3 months with cheap fish.

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Platyfish!

From what you're describing, there is a good chance she's pregnant. Can you post a pic?

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl, platyfish. :)
    It is possible that she was already pregnant when she came to you. Also, I don't see why she wouldn't breed with your existing platies. :)

4. OP
    OP
    p

ok, i am going to try to get some pictures of her. BTW, is there a setting I have to change to get email notifications of new replies on my posts?

5. OP
    OP
    p

do you see those black areas in her stomach? I know that guppies get a black spot because of the frys' eyes, is this the same case in platies?

6. S

Stone220 New Member Member

I'm no expert but I believe she could be pregnant, most if not all Livebearers have a gravid spot which will be visible when pregnant and that certainly looks like one to me.

7. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

In the pic, the little thing to the right of her looks remarkably like a baby platy lol.
    But she is definitly pregnant :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice