breeding platies

Discussion in 'Platy' started by LilaBean, May 23, 2006.

1. LilaBean

LilaBeanValued MemberMember

i have figured out the sex of my three platies, 2 males, 1 female. the female is definately intested in both males, but the larger of the males keeps going for the smaller male. is this normal?? If they are sucessful in mating how long before the babies are born??

2. Joe G

Joe GValued MemberMember

yes tis is normal for lager male to go after smaller male , the ratio should be 2 femails for every one male.

3. leafgirl115

leafgirl115Valued MemberMember

How big is your tank? If you have enough room you need to get more females. THe males will eather kill each other fighting over the femal of kill the female because of stress.

4. OP
    OP
    LilaBean

I have a 20 gallon and i just figured out how to change my profile so you can see what other fish i have. i read that there should be 2 female platies for every male-- is this good to go by??? if i buy 3 more females will i be alright for the size of my tank?then what happens when there are babies/fry? this is new to me-- but so far the tank has been up and running for like 2 months, 0 problems-- thanks so much LILA

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes the 1male/2 females is a good idea. It keeps the male from picking/ harrassing one female all the time. Your tank should be able to handle a few fry if the rainbows and tetras don't eat tehm first ;)
    Carol

6. leafgirl115

If you do not wont the fry LFS will take them:)

7. OP
    OP
    LilaBean

getting more females today!!! now... when and if i have fry--- do i need to transport them to another tank until they are large enough to not be eaten?? or will a net work just as well?? i also read that turning the temp down a little bit will keep them from harassing the feamle until we havemore in there. Is this true?? LILA :) :)

8. leafgirl115

I dont think that will work but you could try. Since you have males theywill become preg in a few days or probaly are alredy preg because they where in with males.

A breeder net works fine:)