Breeding Pest Snails. How Long Does It Take For The Babies To Grow? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by TinyWhoop, Apr 17, 2018.

1. TinyWhoop

TinyWhoop New Member Member

how long does it take for the babies to grow?
    like from eggs to hatch and from babies to a size that is noticeable in the tank.

I started breeding pest snails 2 weeks ago, I saw a lot of eggs, but so far after 2 weeks. I only found one tiny sails with size of 2 mm. worrying about if the rest were dead.
    thanks

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

The grow very quick. You'll see them on the glass, they have a light transleucent shell and they are small.

3. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

I've been breeding and growing pest snails for a while now.

It depends on the snail, But the pond snails I am breeding take about a month before they are half a cm big.. If you are breeding something like ramshorns then they will barely grow for a long time.

4. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Depends on water and food quality. Keep them well fed and in clean maintained tank pond and bladder (common pest snails) grow quite easily. If they have less than ideal parameters or food then they will grow more slowly. Temps around typical tropical tank levels also seem to help (75-80°F). I don't keep Ramshorn or MTS so they may well be different.

Generally my pest snail only tank grows quite slowly without food or heat but those in my cull tank are prolific and grow at an impressive pace. Hard to advise though without knowing specifically which snail you are referring to.

5. OP
    OP
    TinyWhoop

Thanks

6. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

Why do people breed pest snails?

7. OP
    OP
    TinyWhoop

Feeding puffer fish.

8. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Because they are fascinating, self sustaining, and despised by many. Because I had a random tank looking for a reason. Because they are good at keeping a tank clean. Feeding assassins or puffers or giving loaches treats. Many fish and shrimp like a crushed snail snack. Because they aren't as bad as people think they just need proper controls and there's no reason to annihilate them on principle.

That said the are certainly allowed in some of my tanks but not others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice