Breeding peacock gudgeons

WagglePets

So I’m TRYING to breed my male and female pair in my 10 gallon (my peacock gudgeons) the issue is I have some pest snails in there and I’m scared the snails will eat the future eggs and I don’t want that to happen obviously any advice?

BigManAquatics

The male may eat the eggs too. Take about ten days to hatch once laid. Often times, they eat them while sitting on them. I usually put the eggs and cave in a seperate tank after a few days if they aren't eaten.

PeterFishKeepin

do you know the snail species? ramshorn, bladder, pond, MTS , NZ muds, assassin?
some are peaceful while others are more aggressive if that can be said about a snail lol

WagglePets

do you know the snail species? ramshorn, bladder, pond, MTS , NZ muds, assassin?
some are peaceful while others are more aggressive if that can be said about a snail lol
Mine are brown ramshorns and pond and ok :)

PeterFishKeepin

I agree with BigManAquatics ramshorns and ponds are normally peacful i doubt they would eat them all but a couple here and there, just collect them when you find them and isolate them untill they hatch.

WagglePets

Welllll my peacocks laid eggs and fertilized them (my males been missing for a few days) and I’m very excited I pulled them from the parents and is in a 5.5 gallon I hope they don’t grow fungus

PeterFishKeepin

from what i know to prevent fungus you should use a airstone or sponge filter so the water stays highly oxygenated. best of luck for the babies!

WagglePets

from what i know to prevent fungus you should use a airstone or sponge filter so the water stays highly oxygenated. best of luck for the babies!
Thanks there’s a big sponge filter in the tank

BigManAquatics

Putting an airstone in the cave by the eggs will help more. Kind of simulates daddy fanning the eggs.

WagglePets

Putting an airstone in the cave by the eggs will help more. Kind of simulates daddy fanning the eggs.
im in Chicago at the moment till tomorrow night I hope it’s not too late to put one in then

WagglePets

So for some reason i think my cycle crashed in the egg tank and I was wondering if the eggs are still living with ammonia

StarGirl

I guess you just wait and see. Do a large water change to get it down. If the cycle did crash they may not make it.

Beware I have baby Gudgies right now and they will only eat live Baby brine shrimp. I have tried other baby food and egg etc. wouldnt touch it. I have been hatching BBS daily for a few weeks now. Look up Infusoria and get some brewing for the first few days to start off.

WagglePets

I guess you just wait and see. Do a large water change to get it down. If the cycle did crash they may not make it.

Beware I have baby Gudgies right now and they will only eat live Baby brine shrimp. I have tried other baby food and egg etc. wouldnt touch it. I have been hatching BBS daily for a few weeks now. Look up Infusoria and get some brewing for the first few days to start off.
Ok I’ll make infusoria and also will frozen baby brine work? That’s kind of all available
What^

StarGirl

Ok I’ll make infusoria and also will frozen baby brine work? That’s kind of all available
What^
No they didnt eat frozen either. They are picky little buggers. Live BBS is all they will eat.

WagglePets

No they didnt eat frozen either. They are picky little buggers. Live BBS is all they will eat.
Hmmm ok I’ll order some off of Amazon (lol didn’t even think of it)
Should I just throw away these eggs and try again or keep waiting

StarGirl

I have the San Francisco brand it seems to hatch pretty good just in a jar. You need Aquarium salt also.

WagglePets

Guys so awhile ago you know how I disposed of those eggs in a bucket well THEY HATCHED :D and now there SLOWLY acclimating!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

20 Gallon Tank Breeding Peacock Gudgeons
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
MONSTER GOBY
Replies