Breeding Pair Of Red Jewels

1. RedTailRookie

RedTailRookie Valued Member Member

I ve got a mating pair of red jewels which I'm going to post photos of. They are presently in a 10 gal tank with their fry and have been in there goin on 3-4 weeks. I ve noticed that my male is now showing signs of malnutrition as some cichlids get when they form those black splotches and his color has really faded as well. The female was never really bey colorful at all but she's also much more mature than he is so she has proven to be more hardy thru age and time. And he is her second mate and she is his first.

What I'm wondering is since my fry have been free swimming for quite some time and growing well can I safely add him back to my community tank. I have a breeder net that I can place him in to keep him isolated but it will allow him to be in a much more efficient system and provide meds and food to him more easily than I could in the grow out tank he was in. I just emptied my quarantine tank and drained it to clean it out and resettup for a breeding group of reef zebras I ve ordered online from a breeder. If this wasn't happening I wouldn't be asking but I feel I need to move him before he gets stressed and decides to start eating fry. Better yet could I remove both of them and place them back into my community tank ? It's a 125 gal heavily rock scaped with lots of caves and over hangs. The tank isn't over stocked at all only 15 fish in it aside from themselves. I also have a custom built divider I could use to seperate them from the others in the tank physically.

515235f63a2b836f2cd4468061549624.jpg
    Male

f593c53f7a1ee61960b1ee3f1dfc787f.jpg
    Female

2d9b06f799754e6b8fdc0151f1cee735.jpg
    Pair

04f562421295db3e0316c9fcab813fa9.jpg male ( you can see the black splotching - he never had any black splotching until now)

b454cf06e14195e468ef07e8a02d9c22.jpg

Him before adding female to community tank

037a8221342d3daaee63a299095ab3aa.jpg them after fry hatched

b725ad6149bec5c8f3e409a720bd62ba.jpg

21783c8011067fe57fbf120aa6092e23.jpg

They have both dulled in color I cannot deny but hers I noticed even in store was always dull. His on the other hand improved when I added her and even before that was never as pale as he is now.

2. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I think it would be safe to put both adults back in the bigger tank. They will eventually start eating the fry, and this often leads to "domestic violence".

3. OP
    OP
    RedTailRookie

I hope a few others agree with this thought as it was mine as well and I wasn't sure when would be best to place them back into
    The community tank anyways. Most readings say they help the fry to grow faster and I ve seen tanks with fry that got much larger that lasted a long time with both parents in the tank.

I ll wait to see what a few other ppls opinions are on the matter before I act.

4. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I would listen to what chromedome52 suggest. He is one, if not, the most experienced hobbyist on this forum. It would behoove you to take whatever advice he gives.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Jewels in a 10 gallon are kind of frightening to me. You have dodged a bullet although the loss of colour says you won't for long. I've kept and bred lots of (too many) jewels, and I have never had a pair that could survive long in a tiny tank like that.
    I'd get them into the community.
    I hope it's a large well planted tank - a lot of fishkeepers note that Hemichromis are from Africa, and keep them with mbuna, as if Africa were only one lake. They prefer softer water, as western coast riverine Cichlids, originating 3000 km from the hardwater Great Lakes. I noticed in another posting you keep mbuna - Hemichromis don't usually do well in with them.

6. OP
    OP
    RedTailRookie

I ve placed them back into the community tank and the tank is heavily scaped with rocks which I'm still adding to the tank and will plant once I ve some that.

My tank holds
    1 male red zebra
    4 female zebras
    1 male electric lab
    2 sulphur head peacocks 1 male 1 female
    and 1 other male peacock whom was a rescue that I haven't ID'd yet
    3 juvenile demasoni other 4 were eaten by my ornate female
    1 birth deformed red Jewel difficult to sex
    4 bichirs - 2 ornate 1 endlicheri 1 albino senegalus

I ve had my red jewels since I started puttin cichlids in this tank after I placed my bichirs in and the only fight i ve had was today when I placed the jewels back into the community and it was them chasing the others out of there side of the tank. They don't mind my peacocks at all and the other jewel lives on the other end of the tank. But I did plan to actually builds rock wall a third of the way across the tank with a few openings for them and my bichirs to pass thru. My mbuna are use to them at this point and don't go too close to their caves.

The 10 gal was mostly for growing out the fry I had placed the parents in with them as they just started free swimming on the day I put them in and I only wanted to keep the parents in there for as long as I could but not indefinitely just to help them grow as healthy as they could. I m one of the lucky few who gets to sell my fish to my LFS here in my city so the jewels were my 2nd breeding project. My mbuna females have just givin me their first batches of eggs of which only 7 are fertile and now showing little wrigglers on top of the eggs in my tumbler.

I cannot get a photo of the male as he is hidden in the rocks but his color has improved as well as his mobility.

56c7d95e9a71dd665934f7b001f0463b.jpg

7. OP
    OP
    RedTailRookie

I ve placed them back into the community tank and the tank is heavily scaped with rocks which I'm still adding to the tank and will plant once I ve some that.

My tank holds
    1 male red zebra
    4 female zebras
    1 male electric lab
    2 sulphur head peacocks 1 male 1 female
    and 1 other male peacock whom was a rescue that I haven't ID'd yet
    3 juvenile demasoni other 4 were eaten by my ornate female
    1 birth deformed red Jewel difficult to sex
    4 bichirs - 2 ornate 1 endlicheri 1 albino senegalus

I ve had my red jewels since I started puttin cichlids in this tank after I placed my bichirs in and the only fight i ve had was today when I placed the jewels back into the community and it was them chasing the others out of there side of the tank. They don't mind my peacocks at all and the other jewel lives on the other end of the tank. But I did plan to actually builds rock wall a third of the way across the tank with a few openings for them and my bichirs to pass thru. My mbuna are use to them at this point and don't go too close to their caves.

The 10 gal was mostly for growing out the fry I had placed the parents in with them as they just started free swimming on the day I put them in and I only wanted to keep the parents in there for as long as I could but not indefinitely just to help them grow as healthy as they could. I m one of the lucky few who gets to sell my fish to my LFS here in my city so the jewels were my 2nd breeding project. My mbuna females have just givin me their first batches of eggs of which only 7 are fertile and now showing little wrigglers on top of the eggs in my tumbler.

I cannot get a photo of the male as he is hidden in the rocks but his color has improved as well as his mobility.

56c7d95e9a71dd665934f7b001f0463b.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    RedTailRookie

So not only are my jewels comfortable back in the community tank they ve also just laid and fertilized another large batch of eggs but now in a new location smack dab in the middle of the tank. 6fcd7799425fc1369c9c094f44b2c7f7.jpg