Breeding Pair Of Electric Blue Acara

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So we had a customer donate a breeding pair of EBC. The male is about 4-5 inches, and the female about 3-4 inches. Very healthy, nicely colored fish. Needless to say, I want them. Do you think a 20g long with only them in there would be too small? This wouldn't be forever, only about 3 ish months until I move and can get a bigger tank. I just don't want a random person taking these. Thoughts?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 20 gal long is a bit small, but as long as it's temporary, it should be okay. A 29 gal would be better though, if you can swap out your 20 gal long for a 29 gal.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would get a 29, but I already have a heater and filter(with cycled media) that would fit the 20 gallon, as well as the price difference of the 29 being double the 20.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You should be able to get a used 29 gal. When's the Petco $1/gal sale?

I would still really consider upgrading them to a 29 gal or else not getting them at all. You can add a second filter if it's that big of a difference. A 20 gal is going to be tight, especially since you don't actually have the right tank for them now, and lots of things can happen in the future to prevent you from getting them a bigger tank later on.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can never find info on when the petco sale is. I definitely see where you're coming from. I'll either get a 29 or just not get them. I just remembered I have an extra Aqueon 10 filter (100gph), so I can add that in addition to my AC 30, which will all equal 350gph. I have a 50W heater that I can probably make work by just turning it up higher.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Or depending on your room temp, it may not be necessary. A 50 watt is a little too small for the 20 gal too, by the way.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah the heater was for a 10 gallon that I had set up for a Betta. Always had to keep it lower than it said because it would heat it up to much.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with Tex. that a 20 long is not big enough, I'm sitting here looking at my 20 long as I wright this and imagining them in the tank, a 40 long should work.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as EBA are concerned, there is no difference between a 20 long and a 29. Both have a 30" x 12" footprint, and with bottom oriented fish like these, that's all that matters. The extra depth is useless.

I would go with a long 30, 36" x 12" footprint. The EB form of the Blue Acara seems to be smaller than the natural form, so with proper cover it should be comfortable for them.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got my coworker to take them, he had an empty 40 breeder. I just couldn’t let them get separated or go to someone who will miss treat them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom