Breeding Nerite snails Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Phishphin, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

So I'm interested in breeding some nerite snails and need some help...

I have a 10 gal QT tank that I temporarily converted into brackish water set at 79 F. I placed a shrimp substrate in it because it is high in calcium for newborn shells. I also placed a few algae wafers in there for additional food.

Is there anything I should watch for? Anything I should add or do differently? I used Seachem Brachish Salt which is for freshwater tanks. Is that acceptable or do I need to use marine salt? Seachem advertises it for livebearers so I don't know.

2. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

I would personally use marine salt for this.
    I have read from a few breeders that it is best to move the eggs to a high salinity brackish or saltwater tank, for higher hatch rate. You move them back after they develop the shell.

I just started myself in a 40 gal. brackish tank I have running at 1.008 SG. I am not worried about the hatch rate as I am not really looking to sell them so much. It is hatching time now....

3. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

I have no insight into this. I really just want to see, and hope, that you are successful with this. It does sound like a lot of work for snails, but could be pretty rewarding. IMO, I think marine salt would be more effective as well. I never even heard of brackish salt for FW. What's the difference? What kind of substrate are you using? I just use crushed coral in my shrimp/snail tank.

I'm assuming this is all taking place in one tank? I only bring that up cause their eggs are a pain to remove. Will you be changing salinities?

4. OP
    OP
    Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

I wasn't entirely clear on the "brackish salt for FW" myself, but I had it laying around. The description describes how it will not harm existing freshwater plants, so that may be part of it.

I have a mixed substrate of some left over ecocomplete and some shrimp substrate that has a lot of nutrients that the juvie shrimp use for carapace growth (and will also be effective for shell growth... I think). The important component for both invertebrates is calcium.

This is all taking place in a single, well oxygenated, 10 gallon tank. There is no natural algae growth so, on top of the mineral substrate, I've added some java moss and algae waffers.

I really hope this works... nerites rock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice