Breeding Nerite snails Help

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So I'm interested in breeding some nerite snails and need some help...

I have a 10 gal QT tank that I temporarily converted into brackish water set at 79 F. I placed a shrimp substrate in it because it is high in calcium for newborn shells. I also placed a few algae wafers in there for additional food.

Is there anything I should watch for? Anything I should add or do differently? I used Seachem Brachish Salt which is for freshwater tanks. Is that acceptable or do I need to use marine salt? Seachem advertises it for livebearers so I don't know.

2. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I would personally use marine salt for this.
    I have read from a few breeders that it is best to move the eggs to a high salinity brackish or saltwater tank, for higher hatch rate. You move them back after they develop the shell.

I just started myself in a 40 gal. brackish tank I have running at 1.008 SG. I am not worried about the hatch rate as I am not really looking to sell them so much. It is hatching time now....

3. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I have no insight into this. I really just want to see, and hope, that you are successful with this. It does sound like a lot of work for snails, but could be pretty rewarding. IMO, I think marine salt would be more effective as well. I never even heard of brackish salt for FW. What's the difference? What kind of substrate are you using? I just use crushed coral in my shrimp/snail tank.

I'm assuming this is all taking place in one tank? I only bring that up cause their eggs are a pain to remove. Will you be changing salinities?

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I wasn't entirely clear on the "brackish salt for FW" myself, but I had it laying around. The description describes how it will not harm existing freshwater plants, so that may be part of it.

I have a mixed substrate of some left over ecocomplete and some shrimp substrate that has a lot of nutrients that the juvie shrimp use for carapace growth (and will also be effective for shell growth... I think). The important component for both invertebrates is calcium.

This is all taking place in a single, well oxygenated, 10 gallon tank. There is no natural algae growth so, on top of the mineral substrate, I've added some java moss and algae waffers.

I really hope this works... nerites rock.