Breeding Neons Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bradga, Apr 6, 2010.

1. B

Bradga New Member Member

So, the question i want to know is how to breed my neons..:;dk
    i have one HUGELY bloated neon, its been like this for a week or more, my thoughts are its full of eggs.
    i have thought about snipping one of my frilly plants and putting it into my guppy tank until it lays, however will the eggs need to be fertilized or are they already fertilized?
    will the babies hatch and be fine in a guppy tank? will i need mesh in the bottom?
    anyway and tips or help would be grateful

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I've never had any success at breading neons. They are egg layers, so you'd need both sexes in your "breeding" tank. I believe they require very soft water with low pH and warm water, but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

3. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I also have never had any luck breeding my neons, and I've never heard of anyone having much luck with it. You could google to find out exactly how everything works for them. I love google, there is just so much information to take in.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bradga New Member Member

well atm i have a bazillion guppies, which isnt saying much, rabbits cant breed as easily haha.. anyway if the eggs are fertilized before she lays i think ill be ok!

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.

To my knowledge, all egg layers eggs are fertilized once the eggs have been expelled. :)
    The male and female would have to be together when the eggs are laid.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

6. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I had neons on a planted tank for a long time and I still have the same amount no signals of spawning or mating behavior. Never heard of them breeding on a tank.

7. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

My old friend breed some neons a while back

Just because it fat doent mean it has eggs.

The best way is to have them in a heavily planted tank a soft ph and (so they dont eat the eggs)

The eggs a fertile unless they are expelled like A 48 said

Raising Fry should be the hardess thing they need to in constant darkness until they mature

Hope that helps

CB

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. navyscuba

I don't know Chesse It sounds like a heavy planted tank will need light so that theory not sure about it. How you are going to have a planted tank in darkness? Unless you are using fake plants. Which change the whole set up for a regular tank with low Ph and no lights.

9. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Sorry For the confusion

I meant that the fry need to be in darkness to be raised.

There very sensitive to light during the growing stages

CB

10. navyscuba

Ok that is more likely to be. :;th

11. OP
    OP
    B

Bradga New Member Member

well it seems like i have built myself the perfect neon breeding setup by accident.. i even have a 50L quarantine tank below my big tank with a curtain to block out light.. opps haha!
    cheers big ears !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice