Breeding neon tetras

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I set up a 20 gallon, moderately planted, temp 25°C/76°F,ph5.5,
This was far easier than i thought, anyone could do it.
I picked out a male and a very fat female from my community and put them in the 20 gallon when the sun was down already. I covered the tank with towels and left overnight. I started an infusoria culture. The next morning i opened my curtains so sunlight was on the tank, i covered only half the tank with an orange towel now. Within 5 minutes breeding behaviour displayed. 2 hoirs later and non stop puffs of eggs being produced. I will remove the parents tonight and the eggs should hatch within 36 hours.

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's so exciting! what are you going to do with all the spawn?
I've never looked into breeding before, how many eggs are usually laid?
Please post pics of the babies!

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hahaha i know!!! My dad couldnt believe it when they began spawning, hes had neons all his life in his dads tank and his one now and the parents i have in my tank are from his tank so he was in shock. Ill give my dad a load of the fry to bump his school up to 20 and ill keep about 20 or more temporarily until i can make some trades with my LFS hopefully. Its a lot easier than you would think and took less than 24 hours altogether. Try it! Honestly i'd say over 100 eggs but they are very hard to spot and count. They spawn little puffs of about 7 or more eggs at a time constantly for about 4 hours with the right lighting. I will definitely post pics when the eggs hatch
BlackMolly99 said:
That's so exciting! what are you going to do with all the spawn?
I've never looked into breeding before, how many eggs are usually laid?
Please post pics of the babies!

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Cool! I have never bred any tetras, but it sounds like you are on the right track :) Note that neon tetra eggs and young fry are light sensitive, so be careful letting direct sunlight strike the tank now that the eggs are present. PS...how do you determine the gender of the tetras? I have never been good at sexing any schooling fishes.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joshaeus said:
Cool! I have never bred any tetras, but it sounds like you are on the right track :) Note that neon tetra eggs and young fry are light sensitive, so be careful letting direct sunlight strike the tank now that the eggs are present. PS...how do you determine the gender of the tetras? I have never been good at sexing any schooling fishes.
Yep i have the tank completely covered. The female was easy to sex, massive tummy. The male was harder as it could just be a skinny female. It has a more straight body with a smaller stomach. I also noticed that when breeding the male's blie stripe changed to a super vibrant and dark blue
20200413_120759.jpg

That is a male. Check out my other thread
"Is this a male neon" to see a photo of the pair together

Is this a male neon | Tetras 452243

So it has been about 24 hours now have only spotted a few infertile eggs but cant find any fry, im hoping they are just too small for me to see. There is nothing in the tank that could eat them so they should be there. I still have the tank covered so its hard to look. I have seen a few little white strands it looks like but not sure that is fry although it looks around the right size...

20200415_124514.jpg

You can just about see that egg which i believe is fertile, it hasnt gone white.
If anyone knows how to spot newly hatched fry let me know. Also ordered brine shrimp eggs today off ebay

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Fry of any kind are very hard to spot unless they are all concentrated in a nest (which obviously is not the case here). Just be patient, and start feeding the tank a little at about the time the fry would be free swimming.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually egg scatterer fry will be seen clinging on the glass of the aquarium about 36 hours after hatching. They will be tiny clear slivers. Within another 24 hours they are swimming. Some species will group together shortly after this, making them a little easier to spot.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok ill check again tonight, that will have been 36 hours and again in the morning. Ita hard to sleep cus the tank is next to my bed so i keep wanting to peek its so exciting haha

Joshaeus said:
Fry of any kind are very hard to spot unless they are all concentrated in a nest (which obviously is not the case here). Just be patient, and start feeding the tank a little at about the time the fry would be free swimming.
Its been 48 hoirs now but i still cant see any fry. Just wait it out and start feeding tomorrow?

chromedome52 said:
Usually egg scatterer fry will be seen clinging on the glass of the aquarium about 36 hours after hatching. They will be tiny clear slivers. Within another 24 hours they are swimming. Some species will group together shortly after this, making them a little easier to spot.
Okay it will have been 36+24 hours around 10pm tonight. If i check and see nothing is that a failure? If i check and see some do i feed them a little. Im really hoping to have some, so stressed, theres literally no reason why they wouldnt have been born, cherry shrimp arent meant to eat them! Fingers crossed everyone:eek:

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi SnookusFish,
here’s a link to a gentleman that has helped me a lot. He explains how what to feed the newborns and how the culture it. And has his own idea on breeding this species.

Watch the 3 videos and better luck next time.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I've watched them already and it was very helpful in allowing my to get the neons to spawn. I have already got an infusoria culture like he did. S do you think these eggs failed? What could the reason be? The only other thing in tge tank is 3 cherry shrimp and a few baby pest snails...
Flyfisha said:
Hi SnookusFish,
here’s a link to a gentleman that has helped me a lot. He explains how what to feed the newborns and how the culture it. And has his own idea on breeding this species.

Watch the 3 videos and better luck next time.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pest snails maybe? Definitely not the cherry shrimp. They are used by many of us the keep eggs clean in a breeding box etc . The cherry shrimp will clean any fungus from the eggs but not eat eggs.
This business with cherry shrimp may seem hard to believe having read things that written only today by some long time posters on this site.

i am so glad you have the culture running especially as you are so close.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Flyfisha said:
Pest snails maybe? Definitely not the cherry shrimp. They are used by many of us the keep eggs clean in a breeding box etc . The cherry shrimp will clean any fungus from the eggs but not eat eggs.
This business with cherry shrimp may seem hard to believe having read things that written only today by some long time posters on this site.

i am so glad you have the culture running especially as you are so close.
Yes i thought that about the cherry shrimp. I have assassin snails in another tank that i had in this one too but too them out as they would definitely eat the eggs. Maybe if this fails ill leave them in for a week or two and then try again. I have just messaged marks aquatics with my situation so it will be interesting to see his opinion

It has been 4 days since spawning and so roughly 2.5 days since hatching althoigh i have yet to spot a single fry. Either they are good hiders or didnt hatch. I have no clue why they wouldnt have hatched though. Im going to give it 2 more days and then give up on this batch and make some changes then try again. If anyone has any experience of breeding neons in a moderately planted tank and trying to spot fry please let me know how long it took before you saw one.
1587215048484-150303896.jpg

Dont worry joshaeus hahaha. Im even more sad and if this wasnt enough i also just found out i only have female cherry shrimp so i cant start a colony:(
Its ok though i will try again in a frw day i i have no fry im just super confused as to what vould have happened to them and why i havent seen a single one... maybe ill try in one of those floating breeding things next time to make it easier to observe the eggs but then the neons might not spawn...

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
SnookusFish said:
Dont worry joshaeus hahaha. Im even more sad and if this wasnt enough i also just found out i only have female cherry shrimp so i cant start a colony:(
Its ok though i will try again in a frw day i i have no fry im just super confused as to what vould have happened to them and why i havent seen a single one... maybe ill try in one of those floating breeding things next time to make it easier to observe the eggs but then the neons might not spawn...
Believe me, I've had similar hassles breeding fish...particularly egg scatterers. I am very bad at telling when they spawn, and I seldom seem to get fry if I put the parents together for a day or two after conditioning them .

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joshaeus said:
Believe me, I've had similar hassles breeding fish...particularly egg scatterers. I am very bad at telling when they spawn, and I seldom seem to get fry if I put the parents together for a day or two after conditioning them .
It could also be that the eggs wont hatch in my water due to hardness. I dot know the hardness but i have driftwood in the tank so that should reduce it. I cant use rainwater as it is spring bere and no rain for a long while :( ill figure it out in the end. There really isnt many articles about breeding neon tetras that ae detailed experiences, just some manuals basically and the odd i found fry in my tank. Nothing saying the exact timeline of spawning hatching swimming feeding

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
SnookusFish said:
It could also be that the eggs wont hatch in my water due to hardness. I dot know the hardness but i have driftwood in the tank so that should reduce it. I cant use rainwater as it is spring bere and no rain for a long while :( ill figure it out in the end. There really isnt many articles about breeding neon tetras that ae detailed experiences, just some manuals basically and the odd i found fry in my tank. Nothing saying the exact timeline of spawning hatching swimming feeding
Neon, cardinal, and green neon tetras all live in very soft, acidic water with virtually no KH or GH, very little dissolved solids of any kind, and very low PH in the 4's..the Rio negro, for example (from which cardinal tetras hail), has an average PH of 2.9 (!) to 4.2, and a TDS just over 5 ppm.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joshaeus said:
Neon, cardinal, and green neon tetras all live in very soft, acidic water with virtually no KH or GH, very little dissolved solids of any kind, and very low PH in the 4's..the Rio negro, for example (from which cardinal tetras hail), has an average PH of 2.9 (!) to 4.2, and a TDS just over 5 ppm.
jeez how do they not just dissolve lol. Im pretty sure my water is moderaltely soft but not certain, i ordered a test kit a few days ago

SnookusFish said:
jeez how do they not just dissolve lol. Im pretty sure my water is moderaltely soft but not certain, i ordered a test kit a few days ago
Does boiling or distilling water soften it?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
It does. Other ways to do it include;
- Collecting rain water (I've done it...may want to pass it through activated carbon before using it)
- A reverse osmosis filter (I tried one of these once but couldn't get it to work)
- My current method (which works best with water that is already somewhat soft) is to set up a gallon jug with some DI resin in it, fill the jug with the dechlorinated water to be filtered, gently shake the jug for 30 seconds to mix the water and the resin, then let it settle and pour out the contents into a bucket through a fine brine shrimp net (to capture stray pieces of resin). In theory, since tannins are not particularly difficult for DI resin to remove, you could get the most out of these by 'recycling' old soft water if it has a lower TDS than your tap and you don't have a consistent supply of rainwater. The resin needs to stay wet, so I leave the jug with some water left in it when I am done with it.
- In a pinch, you can buy DI or RO water from a grocery store, either prebottled or from a dispensing machine. Check the TDS of the water before putting it in the aquarium.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rocks bad. Substrate not good. Filtration sucks up tiny fry.

Sorry, but if you want to breed them successfully, then you will have to set up the tank appropriately. Just using whatever display tank you have is not likely to work.

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
Rocks bad. Substrate not good. Filtration sucks up tiny fry.

Sorry, but if you want to breed them successfully, then you will have to set up the tank appropriately. Just using whatever display tank you have is not likely to work.
I can see why the rocks and the filter would be a problem, but why is the sand an issue? Couldn't you just stir the sand when you do a water change?

New Threads