breeding neon tetras

orangedude8

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 40L tank to spare that has been fully cycled, but I'm looking within a month or two, to attempt to breed neon tetras. I currently have 11 of them and can notice at least 4 females and the majority male. just seeking some advice on some important factors I may consider and also to any of those who have done it before, how many eggs do you get and survival rate etc.
in the tank I have a log, a tunnel and a whole load of overgrown weeds.
much appreciated, Marc.

OP
O

orangedude8

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeh so ive heard, but what's the point in keeping fish as a hobby and not testing yourself? I'm going to feed them bloodworm and daphnia for 2 weeks so they are full of rich minerals and nutrients! after this I'm going to select a matching pair and put them into my 40L tank. I'm going to leave the water for a month then once the fish are in I'm going to do a 50% water change. cover the tank so that light can't get in, as for the eggs are really sensitive. and over the following week or two slowly allow small amounts of lighting into the aquarium at a time. fingers crossed things go to plan, but obviously there will be a problem some were in there, there always is!

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Go for it. Set up breeding mops and keep very dark. Peat will help.
Fry won't survive with light, must be dark.

shelleyd2008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Supposedly you can tell by the 'shape' of their line. The females' line looks crooked when she is fat with eggs. That's basically an educated guess, there's really no tried and true way to sex them.

New Threads