Breeding Neon Tetra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadamz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so I have been in the hobby for just over a year now I have a 50 litre (around 13 gallon tank) with a beta, 15 neon tetra and 3 panda corys. I will soon be getting a 200 litre (52 gallon tank) with 3 platinum angels and 3 koi angels. I have been looking into breeding my neons and I would like to know any tips on what to do, as I won't be keeping them just growing them out what should I do sell them, give to a fish store or give them away? thanks for any comments you give me!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neon Tetras need MUCH cooler water than a Bettas and Angels. They like it to be 72-75 max, whereas Bettas and Angels really need 80-82. For breeding, Neons will need it to be about 76/77, but thats about the max you want to keep them at.

georgelee1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You need a separate tank. Need very soft water. Regular tap won’t do the work. Need some leaf litter to make the water dark. Need to make the tank isolated from light. Need to pick two best male and female. Feed very high protein food. And let them settle in the breeding tank. After settling. Perform a large water change mimicking raining session. Then voila. As soon as you see eggs, remove the parents. And keep your tank isolated from light

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadamz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You need a separate tank. Need very soft water. Regular tap won’t do the work. Need some leaf litter to make the water dark. Need to make the tank isolated from light. Need to pick two best male and female. Feed very high protein food. And let them settle in the breeding tank. After settling. Perform a large water change mimicking raining session. Then voila. As soon as you see eggs, remove the parents. And keep your tank isolated from lift.
Yes thanks should I go for a peat substrate in a 15 litre tank feeding them frozen blood warms and when the fry are born do I feed live baby brine shrimp?

Neon Tetras need MUCH cooler water than a Bettas and Angels. They like it to be 72-75 max, whereas Bettas and Angels really need 80-82. For breeding, Neons will need it to be about 76/77, but thats about the max you want to keep them at.
Should I keep them at 75 then?

I can feed them frozen brine shrimp aswell if needed

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you will need very dark brown water and low light to increase your changes. also, you will need to learn how to control water chemistry with very small water changes or find out how to keep your water clean without changing your water at all, otherwise you will just kill everything from the fluctuating chemistry. I think the #1 killer of neons is improper water chemistry, the many diseases neons get are a consequence of overzealous tank "cleaning".

high quality food is dandy, but you could honestly feed them regular flakes and still get them to breed successfully. focus on your water and keeping consistency in technique.

Jadamz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you will need very dark brown water and low light to increase your changes. also, you will need to learn how to control water chemistry with very small water changes or find out how to keep your water clean without changing your water at all, otherwise you will just kill everything from the fluctuating chemistry. I think the #1 killer of neons is improper water chemistry, the many diseases neons get are a consequence of overzealous tank "cleaning".
Is there any YouTube vids to help with this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom