Breeding mystery snails

Karmie121506

Does anyone know how to breed mystery snails? If so can I have instruction or something like that. I also need to know how to sex them or figure out if they are male or female.

mattgirl

I bought one about nickle size. By the time she had grown to a bit bigger than a quarter she started laying eggs. I now have about 70 young mystery snails. If the one you happen to get is a female you don't have to do anything. Unless you start out with a tiny baby I suspect if female she will have already been with a male and the eggs she lays will be fertile. Feed her and she will do the rest. Be prepared for a LOT of eggs.

Each clutch of eggs she lays can produce up to 100 baby snails so unless you have an outlet for them you may not want to let all the clutches hatch. Had I allowed every egg Miss Sneller laid to hatch I would have well over a thousand little mystery snails right now. Thankfully she has finally stopped laying eggs but her babies are now almost big enough to start laying eggs themselves. I have seen them mating already and they are only 3 months old. I will have to keep an eye out for clutches of eggs and remove them as I find them.

I don't know if there is any way to tell male from female. I have looked as closely as I can at mine and I don't see any differences.

Upvote 0

Karmie121506

I bought one about nickle size. By the time she had grown to a bit bigger than a quarter she started laying eggs. I now have about 70 young mystery snails. If the one you happen to get is a female you don't have to do anything. Unless you start out with a tiny baby I suspect if female she will have already been with a male and the eggs she lays will be fertile. Feed her and she will do the rest. Be prepared for a LOT of eggs.

Each clutch of eggs she lays can produce up to 100 baby snails so unless you have an outlet for them you may not want to let all the clutches hatch. Had I allowed every egg Miss Sneller laid to hatch I would have well over a thousand little mystery snails right now. Thankfully she has finally stopped laying eggs but her babies are now almost big enough to start laying eggs themselves. I have seen them mating already and they are only 3 months old. I will have to keep an eye out for clutches of eggs and remove them as I find them.

I don't know if there is any way to tell male from female. I have looked as closely as I can at mine and I don't see any differences.
Thank you!! What do you feed them though?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Thank you!! What do you feed them though?
Mine get a variety of foods. Blanched fresh veggies, algae wafers, veggie rounds, crab cuisine or fresh mulberry leaves for example. They have big appetites.

Upvote 0

Karmie121506

Mine get a variety of foods. Blanched fresh veggies, algae wafers, veggie rounds, crab cuisine or fresh mulberry leaves for example. They have big appetites.
Ok I put in algae wafers along with algae in my aquarium hence the reason I got them and I will start feeding them veggies thank you

Upvote 0

exypo

Hello.
For some reason my mysteries have not bred (no eggs), even thought there are many of them (12).
Any ideas why?
Water parameters and temp stable, put some cuttlebone to help with calcium, feed zucchini every now and then, enough space over the water level, but still nothing.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Hello.
For some reason my mysteries have not bred (no eggs), even thought there are many of them (12).
Any ideas why?
Water parameters and temp stable, put some cuttlebone to help with calcium, feed zucchini every now and then, enough space over the water level, but still nothing.
They may not be old enough yet to start laying eggs. Give them time. I got Miss Sneller around the first of January this year. She was about nickle size when I got her. She was about the size of a quarter before she laid her first eggs about the middle of March.

Upvote 0

exypo

They may not be old enough yet to start laying eggs. Give them time. I got Miss Sneller around the first of January this year. She was about nickle size when I got her. She was about the size of a quarter before she laid her first eggs about the middle of March.
Ok. We will give them some time. I guess patience is not the most common attribute within me (but again, who can be when expexting the exciting).
Thank you.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Ok. We will give them some time. I guess patience is not the most common attribute within me (but again, who can be when expexting the exciting).
Thank you.
Like most everything in this hobby we need a boat load of patience. Your little girls will get busy when they are ready. We can't rush them. They are snails after all. Snails are known to be slow :D

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Solved
  • FishPlanet
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question