Breeding Mystery Snails

1. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

I've been seriously looking into breeding mystery snails lately. Ive already confirmed with three LFS's that they would take my stock and I just think it would be a really fun and exciting hobby. Out of everything in my multitude of tanks, my snails have always and forever been my pride and joy!

For you breeders out there, do you have any tips? I'm starting out with a 29 gallon and have black flourite for the substrate, going to heavily plant, have PLENTY of filtration with established media, a decent heater, and recently picked up some crushed coral. I already dose my inverts with liquid calcium in my other tanks. Is there anything I should know to run a successful breeder tank? Any advice at all is welcome!

2. beavlee123

beavlee123 Valued Member Member

Know when to stop. That's the best advice I can give you. I've sold over two thousand mystery snails, and it almost ruined the hobby for me... The issue is they're born the size of sesame seeds. They need to be a certain size before pet stores will take them. So you have an over stock problem 2 months in, and zero chance to gravel vac. By the time my little guys were big enough for me to avoid gravel vacuuming them. My water came out black. Plants are great, but it barely helped with the water after a while.

3. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

Isn't there an attachment you can add to the gravel vacuum that is claw shaped? To avoid sucking up the babies. I know I've seen them before, I'm just wondering if anyone has used them. Thank you for the advice, maybe I'll keep a very close eye on population control in between batches so I don't overdo it. I'm now second guessing the whole idea. Thank you for your input!

4. beavlee123

I've seen them but never tried one. They're so small when born that it can be scary. I've even tried putting a mesh over the vacuum. I'd say go for it, just keep it at a single clutch of eggs. The cost of feeding them in the hundreds can get out of control fast. I was also doing daily water changes for months. But I had a dozen clutches.

5. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

What did you feed them? I'm just doing the regular blanched veggies and algae wafers, some frozen shrimp from time to time. I use liquid calcium for their shells.

6. beavlee123

Shrimp pellets and veggies. I put crushed coral then gravel over that to help with the shell growth too. Ramping up the heat will help them grow faster, but it will burn out the older snails. And you run the risk of shell pitting from the rapid growth. The high heat will also trigger more mating for the older snails. So it's a double edged sword. Just keep that in mind. I went from 2 clutches to 16 in 2 weeks... I couldn't throw out the clutches I felt terrible even thinking about it. Zoo meds makes a turtle block feeder. It has calcium and food that my little guys went crazy for. They market it as a way to make your aquarium water less acidic. I never tried the liquid calcium before. But I'm sure other people can weigh in on that here. Good luck, and post pictures if you decide to breed them.

Don't get discouraged because of my nightmare situation. Just keep it to one clutch and you should be fine.

7. beavlee123

20160228_103149-1024x1820.jpg
    This is what you don't want.

8. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

I population control my other tanks. I feed live fry to some of my other fish. I do feel bad doing it sometimes, but the alternative is an unhealthy living environment for them. It's for their own good. You could have a 120 gallon and still get overran if you don't population control or have a backup plan for all of the spawn. I will definitely keep an eye on things and make sure I don't get in over my head. I'm really glad you responded though, as I'm almost certain I'd say "I can handle 7 clutches right?" And end up crying and drinking wine all night lol. I like the idea of the crushed coral underneath substrate too!

9. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

Oh wow. Yeah, I'd be afraid of that, haha. I thought mystery snail clutches were white and apple snail clutches were pink? Or did I get that backwards?

Also, did you remove the clutches and hatch them separately or did you just leave them in the tank?

10. beavlee123

My heat was so high that the humidity made my clutches slide off the glass. So I set up an incubator to keep them from drowning. If you go this route, make sure the room is warm. A significant dip in temperature could kill them. Everyone seems to do a floating in tank method, that's your best bet that they'll survive.

11. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

Indeed. I live in Pennsylvania and the rooms can definitely fluctuate on temperature during the winter. So I think the floating method would be my best bet. How high did you keep the heat in the tank?

12. beavlee123

I capped it at 85 degrees. It really depends on what else you have in the tank too. But 85 is a good number to shoot for.

13. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

They are going to be the only ones in the tank, but I know quite a few of my plants would melt at 85 degrees lol I'll have to research which plants can tolerate higher temps. Thank you so much for all of your answers! I know who to hit up in the event of a problem lol.

14. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Diffusa have more orange than pink, wheres canaliculata complex have more of a bright pink color.:)

15. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

I see! Thank you for clarifying!