Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Breeding Mystery Snails For Puffer

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ystrout, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Hi Everyone,

My Spotted Congo puffer is cleaning me out... She eats snails faster than I can grow them. I've only had her a few weeks and my supply is running dry so I'm having to buy feeder snails from the fish store. This would be fine, but it's an hour+ drive in rush hour and I hate doing it twice a week.

I'm currently growing MTS and Ramshorn snails. The problem is, they don't breed and grow fast enough to become food for my puffer. I'm planning to grow Mystery snails so I can feed her the baby ones once they're about the size of an average Ramshorn. I hear this is more efficient than growing pest snails for food.

Ramshorn/MTS are pests and obviously very easy to grow by just feeding them well. I have no idea how to grow Mysteries though. I'll have to do some research. But in the meantime, can anyone with experience help me with these questions?

1. Can I breed them successfully in a 5 gallon tub thing I currently use as a snail breeding tank or do I need to use my 20G tank that's in storage? The filter is cycled btw. If so, how many 'breeders/adults' should I put in there?
    2. It's my understanding they're not hermaphrodites like pest snails. Is it possible to determine their sex?
    3. Using either the 5 gal breeding tub or the 20G tank, can you estimate how many I'll be able to breed?
    4. Any other tips?

Thanks everyone!

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

1. No, it's recommended to have a 10 gallon for two
    2. Correct, but it is very difficult to sex them, I've never been able to
    3. I had one female lay 5 clutches inn2 weeks, each had 100-200 babies. Takes a long time to grow them out though, and they only live 6-8 months
    4. They lay eggs outside of the water, the eggs will drown in about 5 minutes in the water, provide areas for them to lay. Takes about 2 weeks for the babies to hatch. Laying is not in a pattern IME, happens randomly, but feed as heavily as possible. Always keep cuttlebone in the tank.

3. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Thanks.

A couple more follow ups.
    1. I'll put them in my 20G long then. How many adults should I put in there?
    2. So should I just buy a few and if they start producing offspring, it works? If not, return one and try a new one?
    3. That's a great amount! How long before they are big enough to feed to Potato? I feed them when they're about 5 to 8 cm.
    4. And a cuttlebone like you can buy at Petco for birds?

Thanks again for the detailed responses!

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

1. What else is in the 20 long? 3-5 should work
    2. That's what I did, I got lucky by buying two and getting a male and a female!
    3. 5-8cm or mm? 4-5 months if cm, 3-7 weeks if mm.
    4. Yes, that's the cuttlebone. Just take out the metal and any parts affected by rust and put it in the tank. It may have some powder come off that causes a little film, and it will float for a few days, but it's safe

5. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Nothing is in the 20 long, it's currently what I setup and take down for a quarantine tank. I'll just use the 5G bin for a quarantine tank since I mostly keep small fish and they'll be fine in there for a couple weeks. Can I keep it barebottom with just a few decorations or do they need plants and d├ęcor?

Oh sorry, I meant mm not cm. She eats snails about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a dime.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  6. happyscrubValued MemberMember

Breed bladder snails. They are the fastest.