20 Gallon Tank Breeding Molly :)

ilovemyfishies

I just purchased 2 female Lyretail Dalmation Molly today and added them to my 20 gallon. As soon as I released them into the tank, my white male Balloon Bellied Molly started breeding with both of my new Molly! I was surprised because I had forgot that they could mate! I'm pretty sure that there mating, because the male constantly follows the females and rubs his stomach on the females stomachs, and constantly looks like hes chasing and "sniffing" her abdomem. I'm pretty sure its mating behavior. If it is, that means I'm gonna have two pregnant fish. Amazing ! LOL. I'm gonna video tape the behavior and post it on the video section soon!

jetajockey

ilovemyfishies

Yeah lol

Aquarist

Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Breeding Fish section of the forum.

Best wishes for many healthy fry!

Ken

MKucheria

even one of my molly is pregnant...today I noticed its belly taking a sqaure cut...
I don't know when will it give birth..any idea? should I keep it in another tank..? alone?

ilovemyfishies

MKucheria said:
even one of my molly is pregnant...today I noticed its belly taking a sqaure cut...
I don't know when will it give birth..any idea? should I keep it in another tank..? alone?
If its belly is taking a square cut, that means its gonna have birth within the next 24 hours or so. Moving her all depends on if you want lots of fry, if you don't move her, most of the fry will get eaten, but if you have big plants in your tank some of the babies will hide and be able to survive. But you could move her to a separate tank, and them after she has the fry than put her back, because she will most likely eat her babies. You could also buy some breeding grass for the babies, or you could buy a breeders box or net. Hope this helps, Good luck!

MKucheria

ilovemyfishes...
are u sure within 24 hours? actually..I don't think she is too fat or something..just that her belly has that characterstic cut..u know how it looks!
may be she is too young to have that much huge belly...look..the last thing I have is a 2 gal fish bowl..will it do in it for a day or two...till she delivers?

GemstonePony

if the female is stressed she may hold off on giving birth, even to the detriment of the fry and herself. I would not recommend moving her too far out of her environment. Maybe you could get a breeder net and put her in that with a bushy fake plant for fry to hide in? She needs to feel secure with good water conditions. my concern with the bowl is that it will be unfiltered, unheated, unfamiliar, and not something any fry will survive for long in as they are extremely sensitive to water conditions.

ilovemyfishies

Well, since you say she is getting a square cut, I was assuming that she was about to pop. But its hard to know without a picture.

I would'nt recommend a bowl. Because you don't wanna stress the female out too much. You should buy a breeding net or box like I had said. THere cheap and they work real good!

ilovemyfishies

GemstonePony said:
if the female is stressed she may hold off on giving birth, even to the detriment of the fry and herself. I would not recommend moving her too far out of her environment. Maybe you could get a breeder net and put her in that with a bushy fake plant for fry to hide in? She needs to feel secure with good water conditions. my concern with the bowl is that it will be unfiltered, unheated, unfamiliar, and not something any fry will survive for long in as they are extremely sensitive to water conditions.
+1

MKucheria

it will be heated..I have a small cute heater for it..filtered..ofcourse not!

ilovemyfishies

Hmmm, well I a still say go out to your LFS and buy a breeding net.

MKucheria

ohk! thnk you

GemstonePony

filtered..of course not!
what do you mean by "of course not"? it is possible to filter a tank that small with a sponge filter. You'd have to have had it going for the past week in your big tank, though. And I still wouldn't recommend the change of scenery.

ilovemyfishies

No problem

kitty2234

HI ilovemyfishies,

I also recommend that relocation of the female during the later stages of pregnancy, is not very safe. According to my research, she can have young approximately every 20 to 28 days; depending on the temperature and other factors. One of my females gave birth to 20 fry, the other gave birth to 100 fry.

kitty2234

Latest threads

Top Bottom