Breeding marbled crays, limited space

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
I want to have a good amount of crays as feeders for predatory fish. I already have a mature marbled cray who has reproduced many times. Unfortunately I do not have space for a big breeder tank that's often recommended for a colony so I'm considering alternatives.

I do have tote 3 bins, each between 10-20 gallons each. If I filled each with plenty of pvc hiding "caves" and split up any fry between all of them, could that decrease cannibalism? Mainly, I want to produce as many crays as possible without resorting to another major purchase.

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BlackOsprey said:
I want to have a good amount of crays as feeders for predatory fish. I already have a mature marbled cray who has reproduced many times. Unfortunately I do not have space for a big breeder tank that's often recommended for a colony so I'm considering alternatives.

I do have tote 3 bins, each between 10-20 gallons each. If I filled each with plenty of pvc hiding "caves" and split up any fry between all of them, could that decrease cannibalism? Mainly, I want to produce as many crays as possible without resorting to another major purchase.
I think that would work, yes. Put your breeding pair into one container to start with. Once they breed, move them on to the next container. After they breed in that one, move them on to the next, and so forth.
I do this with cannibalistic mealworms and it seems to work well.

New Threads