breeding live bearers

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by bryce1217, Jan 5, 2013.

1. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

i know opinions are going to vary, but which is the easiest to breed: mollies, platies, or guppies? i just got a new tank and i would like to start breeding some kind of fish.

2. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

In my expieriances my mollies never spawned , however I never tried to get them too no breeding trap who knows they could have just got eaten by something . Platties are good breeders but I have always found guppies the easiest. My grandmas used to have a rainbucket with them in it too keep away Mosquitos, she said that she put 3 in there and ended up with 200 in a tiny bucket. She didn't realize and she had to sell them , most were babies . She had no filter heater nothing . I would say guppies because not only are they easy but it's a good accomplishment to breed high quality long finned show guppies. The things I see in some of the pet stores are pathetic. Good luck !

3. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I have had a pair of platys in one of my tanks almost since the beginning and while she looks pregnant, still no babies. My mollies and swordtails, on the other hand, are like little rabbits. Seems like they are always having babies. Right now I have at least 30 fry in a floating fish hatchery that I don't know what I am going to do with. Hope one of my LFSs will take them.

4. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Seems like we had the opposite expieriances see everyone is different. While someone can't get guppies to spawn they are breeding salt water trigger fish. (Exaggerating) but its true, I would start with guppies and that's almost guaranteed breeding and then move up

5. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I think a lot depends on the water and conditions. Mine must be favorable for mollies while yours is for the platys. And I do agree about the guppies. They seem to be willing to reproduce in almost any water.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They're all pretty easy, though I guess I would say guppies. Though, your tank size is going to determine which you should consider.

Breeding the fish is nice, but have you given any thought about what to do with the endless fry you will have (assuming you're successful :) )?

7. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

i have a 20 gallon. how many guppies could i put in there? i think i may start with guppies. i have a local owned petstore that will take any kind of fish.

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Guppies are usually a bit smaller and a better choice for a 20 gallon. Jaysee makes a good point, what is your plan for the offspring?

Personally, I'd do 6 females and 2 males. That would get breeding off to a good start.

For livebearer breeding tanks, I like to use lots of Najas (guppy grass). It provides great hiding places for fry. Fry can eat crushed flake but I'm getting much better returns hatching brine shrimp and feeding Repashy gel foods.

This is my 10 gallon Endlers tank :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LvlAxW1HG4

9. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

ok. thanks! ill be selling them to a local pet store. no, im not doind it for the money, im doind it for the fun and expeirience.

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Then you will surely have fun :)

11. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

im subscribing to cichlidnut now. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice