Breeding Kribs Battling

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the 2nd time my kribensis have bred. Great fun to watch and learn from, so attentive parents, I watched the female move at least 50-70 fry in under a minute in her mouth, to what she thought was a safer place (amazing)? The father also very caring +very protective. I know the parents do a little wrestling now and again to build bond and test strength, yet the other day it looked like they were knocking 7 bells out of each over and not behaving in there normal attentive way to fry, even though the fry were ok. Is this normal and do you think the warm whether played a part?My tank temp was topping 81 Fahrenheit to the usual 77.

Meant to say Fahrenheit not Celsius. I'm a newby to forums.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, first of all, you mean 81 degrees Fahrenheit because 81 Celcius would convert to 177.8 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as the parents getting into slight aggression towards eact other, yes that is normal. They both have parental instincts to protect their fry from all danger including moments when they forget that their own mate is also the parent too. Don't be alarmed as long as they are protecting the fry. The fry will still be very young when the parents decide it's time for the fry to fend for themselves so you will see parental care of the fry stop soon.
Plantsmaketanks said:
This is the 2nd time my kribensis have bred. Great fun to watch and learn from, so attentive parents, I watched the female move at least 50-70 fry in under a minute in her mouth, to what she thought was a safer place (amazing)? The father also very caring +very protective. I know the parents do a little wrestling now and again to build bond and test strength, yet the other day it looked like they were knocking 7 bells out of each over and not behaving in there normal attentive way to fry, even though the fry were ok. Is this normal and do you think the warm whether played a part?My tank temp was topping 81 Celsius to the usual 77.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did try correct my mistake when I realised, I am a newby to forums. I have worked in the pet industry and have qualifications in animal care trying not to sound or make myself seem big headed, I've worked with fish/reptiles + kept both,so pretty knowledgeable. I have seen the them mock battling before but this was not slight aggression, some normality as returned but one of the females eyes as a slight bulge, maybe scratched in process an has a light infection (treat if necessary). Was just wondering if the warm temp played a part and sent them a bit do-lally?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I realize your question now. No, a temperature rise would not create greater aggression. Fish do however give off pheromones to establish dominance which is usually diluted somewhat with your normal changes. I discovered a product that can safely help with agggression. I decided to try AmQuel ammonia detoxifier as a water conditioner since it gets rid of chlorine and chloramine. I discovered on the label that it also detoxifies the pheromones given off by dominant fish. I suggest you give it a try if you ever have aggression problems. Don't get AmQuel Plus, just the regular AmQuel Ammonia detixifier. The AmQuel Plus doesn't have the pheromone detoxifier. And even though a rise in temperature wouldn't have caused aggression, it lowers the amount of oxygen the water can hold while at the same time raising the fish's metabolic rate making them need more oxygen. It's kind of a catch 22 situation. Fish should be kept in the lowest temperature range tolerable for the species.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was thinking about the oxygen level myself when the heat at warmest, as I only use my filter to cause rippling of the surface for gas transference, relying on plants to do their job + under stocking my aquariums. I thought it was also the male being the dominant aggressor, but today the tables have turned and its the females turn. I now remember I noticed some of the fry were passing, not many, but a few. Think heat + a drop in oxygen level that should have been my main concern. Like you said and I do know most chiclids can be aggressive through breeding/territory or just because there chiclids. To tell truth its first time I have bred kribensis properly in all the time I've had a passion for animal care and kept aquariums. Would recommend them to anybody interested in fish keeping. Just a bit of a shock to see two small fish battle so vigorously. Don't like adding chemicals really that alter natural behavior. Thanks for the reply. Sorry for waffling

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom