breeding khuli's?

Sam Livingston
New to khulI loaches, starting today, possible to breed them in captivity, and if so how? any suggestions would be great, will most likely be switching to sand substrate pending another post I asked about.

Chief_waterchanger
I posted in the other one saying I'd leave it up to Butterfly and Dino since they know more, but I believe the kuhlis have to be several years old first. (4-5 I think)

Dino
Correct.
It is possible but is not very common.
I personally know one person who has done it.
Lots of live food, clean water, smooth sand substrate and plants such as java moss would be a good start.

Sam Livingston
Got the clean water and plenty of java moss, and have brine shrimp coming in the mail, so now just need the sand and for four or five years to go by ;D Do dojo loches breed more readily?

Dino
Yes, but usually in ponds.
They are also temperate water fish, not tropicals.

Butterfly
The person Dino is referring to that bred Kuhlis had been keeping Loaches of various types for about twenty years and never knew what the stimulus was that encouraged them to breed. Just found tiny babies in the tank.
I too replied in the other thread that the Dojo and Kuhlis have different temperature needs.
Whether they breed for you or not they are both awesome fish.
Carol

slakey
*off topic*
how can you tell which is a male and female?

Butterfly
*off topic*
how can you tell which is a male and female?
Kuhlis frequently fill with eggs(whether they spawn or not) and get very thick in the abdomen area.
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RSBettas
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
Sergeant Pepper
Replies