Breeding Journal (first time!) - nemo galaxy HMPK

Gudgie

I've decided to try breeding my male betta, Bubba - first time attempting betta breeding! I'll try to keep track of my progress here, and I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions along the way. Right now, I'm mostly in the planning stages - tentatively hoping to put the pair together sometime in March; want to make sure I'm prepared before that happens! Plans are below - if you think anything should be adjusted to increase my chance of success, please let me know.

Male: Bubba, my nemo galaxy HMPK from philam's spawn last year. He'll be a year next month, so I don't want to wait too long before I try breeding.

Bubba_flare.jpg(apologies for the dirty glass smudging his dorsal - time to clean that!)

Female: Tentatively, this nemo galaxy HMPK female. She's approximately 4-5 months old right now.

nemo_galaxy_HMPK_female.jpg

Though I did also consider this nemo koi HMPK female:

female2.jpg

Conditioning: planning to condition for a couple weeks w/ frozen bloodworms.

Here's my planned spawning tank - any feedback is greatly appreciated:
10 gallon, but only filled about 1/3 to 1/2 (not either of their normal homes). Already have a lid and heater, plan to keep at 80F. I'll add in IALs for tannins, plus have one floating as a possible nest site. Some floating Salvinia minima, 1-2 small pieces of driftwood in case the female needs to escape/hide. I'll also toss in some anubias nana and some Rotala stems. I don't have any moss at the moment - will it be needed if I get fry?

One question - filter or no filter when spawning? I've seen both recommended. I'm *tentatively* planning to get a small sponge filter and let it run at a very slow rate so that it's too weak to disrupt any potential nest. If you think that's a bad idea, then I'll wait to add it until after hatching.

I'll let Bubba swim loose while I have the female in a glass vase set in the tank. Hopefully they'll both show interest and he'll get busy building a nest! I'll probably leave them like this overnight, and then release her in the morning if things are going well. Assuming that goes to plan (a big assumption), I'll remove the female once they're done and leave the male to take care of the eggs until there are free-swimming fry.

If I get to free-swimming fry, I'll add in an aged sponge filter if there's not already one running. Planning to leave fry in the spawning tank for at least two weeks, but thinking I'll fill up the tank for them. Pending how many fry I get, I can eventually transfer some/all to a 25 gal and/or various tubs for further grow out. Plus lots and lots of water changes and eventual jarring for males.

Fry foods: I'll have live BBS on hand, plus prepared foods (Hikari first bites, Golden Pearls). Plus with plants and filter there should be some microorganisms already present. Will this be sufficient? There seems to be various opinions on this...

Anyway, that's where I'm at with planning! Updates and pictures to come as the process moves along.

BigManAquatics

Pretty fish, hope it works out! Could have a crop of some pretty awesome looking fry

Upvote 0

philam

I personally wouldn’t put a sponge filter in the breeding tank unless it’s for beneficial bacteria purposes as it’s not necessary. Other than that, it looks like you’ve done your homework!

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Pretty fish, hope it works out! Could have a crop of some pretty awesome looking fry
Fingers crossed!

I personally wouldn’t put a sponge filter in the breeding tank unless it’s for beneficial bacteria purposes as it’s not necessary. Other than that, it looks like you’ve done your homework!
Okay, I'll hold off with the filter until after I have fry. I probably do way too much research, but I figure better that than not enough. Plus my career is in biological research - it's an ingrained habit at this point.

Upvote 0

Gudgie

The female arrived today! She was a bit cold (unsurprisingly), but so far is settling in well. For now she’s in a 2 gal, but long term I hope to move her to either a 5 gal or partition space in one of my larger tanks.

Hopefully I’ll be ready to attempt breeding them come March! In the meantime, I’ll have to think of a name for her.

E83A9F61-FC77-4C7E-AB28-B9D56131FD4F.jpeg
BE5365AF-E94F-4799-8CAD-756B23B27516.jpeg

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Well, I lost the female unexpectedly today. No idea what caused it, though she was never particularly active and didn’t eat well (other bettas have always been voracious). So perhaps just never strong to begin with. No obvious tank parameter issues. I hadn’t had a chance to breed them yet, since I’m still waiting for the planned breeding/fry tank to free up (should finally be by the end of the month).

Now I’m trying to decide whether to search out another female versus abandon the effort.

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Well, breeding has been a fail thus far.

I decided to try breeding Bubba w/ one of his siblings, as I have two females that look particularly nice. One of the girls is definitely significantly larger than Bubba, so I decided to try with the smaller one. I could see her ovipositor more than the other girls and thought she might look a bit eggy, but perhaps not (my eye is entirely untrained). I'd been conditioning them for a week or two w/ frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, though admittedly wasn't diligent about it. They're now around 13 months old, so really pushing it for breeding age, but thought I'd at least attempt it once.

The 10 gallon had been set up w/ 3-4" of water, ~80F, IAL, plus lots of plants and some driftwood. Added Bubba to the tank, then added the female to a glass jar in the tank. I let her sit overnight, then released her into the tank. Bubba had build a bubble nest overnight, so figured that was a good sign.

The first day, she had little interest - part of why I question if she was really eggy or not, she certainly wasn't huge. Bubba flared and showed off to her, chased her a bit, but really didn't do any damage (thankfully). Since there was limited aggression, decided to leave them for awhile and see how it went. Finally on the THIRD day, she seemed a bit flirty, thought she did a bit of the S-swim I've seen described, followed him around, and I thought maybe they'd get down to business. No such luck. Not sure if it's just that Bubba is inexperienced, if they're not a good pair, not conditioned enough, or too old. As far as I'm aware, he never attempted an embrace. Anyway, decided to move them back to their respective tanks since Bubba's dorsal fin had a bad chunk taken out of it on the last day and the bubble nest was largely gone. I didn't want either of them to get more ripped up.

Trying to decide if I should give up on breeding him or if I should re-condition for another two weeks (and allow fins to heal) and attempt once more with one of the two girls. Though really they're no longer at peak breeding age, so presumably odds of success have dropped. :/

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpeg
    IMG_3882.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Gudgie

Decided to throw in the towel on this. Since my bettas are getting old (for breeding) anyway, I decided it wasn't worth attempting again. Oh well. Perhaps sometime down the road I'll get some younger fish and try breeding again, but not anytime soon. At least I'll feel prepared with regards to setup if I try again in the future!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Decided to throw in the towel on this. Since my bettas are getting old (for breeding) anyway, I decided it wasn't worth attempting again. Oh well. Perhaps sometime down the road I'll get some younger fish and try breeding again, but not anytime soon. At least I'll feel prepared with regards to setup if I try again in the future!
It is a learning experience, so if you learned something, totally not a full failure!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views