Breeding In Mini Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Cholo Anderzon, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cholo Anderzon

Cholo Anderzon Valued Member Member

I have a small customized tank that is divided into three divisions (approximately <4" per edge) per each division (approximately .2G each). "Confined spaces alright "
    I installed mini homemade air pump sponge filter in each of them and also put some gravels and hornworts from my main tank in them.
    I put my pregnant molly in one of the division, few rcs in the other and a male and female lerytail swordtail in the other.
    My molly and swordtails are just few months old and sized just more or less 1.5"-2" each.
    Half of the water of each division is changed everyday.
    I'm curious if it would work at any chance.
    Will my molly be able to give birth in such space?
    Will rcs be able to breed properly in such space?
    Will my swordtail be able to mate in such confined space?

Any opinion will be deeply appreciated..
    Thanks..

2. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

It sounds like torture for the fish :( Is this a Betta Falls tank? I don't think there is room for swordtails to even move, much less mate... At full size, they are longer than their cell sides.

3. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Yes, it is supposed to be a betta tank.
    So it turns out it won't work then..

Is there any point that this would work?..

4. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

No. The RCs are the only thing that could possibly thrive in this tank. Mollys and swordtails should really be in a 20g tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

You think the swordtails won't even mate?..
    I'm not planning to to keep thrm in there for life, I just want the fry to be separated, I'll put back the female molly after it gave birth and live the fry there till they're big enough, and I just want my swordtail to mate specifically since my mollies may mate with my swordtail instead, I'll put them back to the main tank after the female got pregnant, that is if they do mate. Is it really impossible for the molly to give birth and the swordtail to mate?.

6. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

I doubt the swordtails would wanna mate because of the tiny space they have. Mollies can't mate with swordtails. I think letting the female molly give birth in there would be fine as long as she isn't in there for too long, but the swordtails need to have a bigger tank and so does the molly after she gives birth.

7. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Thanks..
    I guess I have all questions answered..

Though anymore opinions will be deeply appreciated.. XD

8. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Saw this online just now.. What do you think of this.. you think they'll have enough space in this box? w/ the divisions remove of course.. XD

By the way.. my swordtails are just maybe 2-3 months old and length just about 1.5"-2" also there's only 2 of them..

Thanks..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

No definitely not. This breeding box is even smaller than what you have them in now. The swortails wouldn't even be able to swim. You'd be much better of getting a 29 gallon or larger for these fish. Or just rehome them and get guppies which are much smaller!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice