Breeding in a 29 gallon

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by shusband, Jul 6, 2015.

1. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

I have a near empty 29 gallon. I'll move everything that can't stay once I know what I want to breed. I want suggestions on relatively easy species to breed that can do well in a 29. I also want to know the water parameters and special conditions that encourage breeding.

I want to do something that will have a decent resale value. So no guppies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Show quality guppies have excellent resale value. I paid a pretty penny for my breeding group of vienna emeralds.

However if you're looking for something else, you'll need to decide what type of breeding you want to do - egg layers, nesting fish, angels, bettas... the possibilities are endless.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Easy to breed.....
    Killifish, or zebra danios?

4. OP
    OP
    shusband

Anything a bit more interesting?

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You'll have to get a bigger tank if you want to breed "interesting" species. Otherwise you're stuck with livebearers or smaller sized tetras.

6. OP
    OP
    shusband

No cories or any smaller catfish?

What about loaches? I have no clue about needing any of those but they are pretty cool

Or also heard that I could breed convicts in a 29, thi they aren't worth much more than Oscar fodder.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could do corys in a 29, most of the more common species breed readily & there's always a market for them.
    You would need another tank to grow them on for a few months before they're large enough to sell.

8. OP
    OP
    shusband

I could stick them in my 55 once they reach 1/2 an inch, otherwise the pictus might try to swallow them. Otherwise if I need to grow them out I could stick them in a 10 right?

9. Coradee

Depending on how many fry you had, some corys can lay 2-300 eggs or more though not all would hatch, a 10 would be ok to grow some out though a 20 would be better

10. OP
    OP
    shusband

If I end up with a lot of fry I could always find one. Usually see them for 30 bucks with the filter, heater and light on Craigslist.

Any recommendations as to which species? My water is pretty hard, but I can use rain water if necessary. I have rain barrels connected to my gutter system.

11. Coradee

Peppered, bronze, albino, pandas, trilineatus to name a few are all easy breeders, for better hatch rates & fry survival softer water is better but it has to be consistent , any fluctuations & you're likely to have high mortality rates.

12. OP
    OP
    shusband

Thanks

13. OP
    OP
    shusband

Will the cories spawn just as much in the higher pH?

14. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436298060.098698.jpg Bronze amd Peppered defo will

15. OP
    OP
    shusband

So cute! Are those the peppered?

Any special phenomenon that spark Cory spawning? Like for gourami you almost empty the tank and heat it up. What requirements need to be met to create spawning?

16. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Water changes are generally enough to get most fish spawning.

17. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

No 55 small Bronze fellows !!!

Corys defo are fresh water / high airpressure spawners. They'll react on fresh / cooler waterchanges.

18. OP
    OP
    shusband

So just add water that's a degree or two colder on a larger water change?

19. Coradee

Condition them first, live or frozen is good if you can get it, along with a good catfish pellet & then once you see the females looking full of eggs you can do some cool water changes dropping the temperature a few degrees.

20. OP
    OP
    shusband

I have aqueon bottom feeder tablets, is that a catfish pellet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice