Breeding Hybrid Cichlids

WynterRose
Note: My goal is not to breed hybrids and sell or give them away. Please do not try to get me to not breed them, I am breeding them to achieve unique fish for my tank and to study the genetics of these fish. My hybrids will not leave my tank.

I was browsing the cichlid section of my lfs when I came across the Electric Yellow Labidochromis Cichlid. They were active, small, and friendly. A bright male would do backflips when I looked at him. They were so cute that I just had to have one. I want to incorporate them in breeding cichlids. So, I would like to know if anyone knows fish that will cross with these little fish. Optionally, I would love if you have pictures of hybrids with the fish. I will selectively breed the fish and cull when needed to produce vibrant fry over generations. If I get exceptional hybrids I will show them off on Fishlore as well because I love fish and I want to show people that through hard work you can get amazing fish you can't get anywhere else. x

LeoDiaz
Why do you want hybrids so badly?
Electric yellows are perfect the way they are.

Kiara1125
You can breed yellow labs with red zebras. It's the most common mbuna hybrid and can usually provide a lot of different and unique fish. I've heard that this is what the hybrid looks like.

LeoDiaz
You can breed yellow labs with red zebras. It's the most common mbuna hybrid and can usually provide a lot of different and unique fish. I've heard that this is what the hybrid looks like.
I don't think the fish in the pic is hybrid. Usually when you mix zebras and electric yellow you can get mix results. From solid orange/yellow fish(no black fin) to brown fish. Or they take after the mother or father.

Kiara1125
I don't think the fish in the pic is hybrid. Usually when you mix zebras and electric yellow you can get mix results. From solid orange/yellow fish(no black fin) to brown fish. Or they take after the mother or father.

True ... I just used Google to look it up. I can't find any pictures of people documenting what happens.

LeoDiaz
The second fish in the video is zebra/electric mix. Note how she doesn't have the black dorsal fin, and she is dark kinda brownish.

WynterRose
@LeoDiaz- well I'm interested in selective breeding and I want to study the genetics of cichlids. I love these fish so I'm also going to breed them by themselves as well thanks to my set up I made. I'm just breeding hybrids as well. They're really interesting and I love these little pets.

@Kiara- red zebras would look really nice! I found blue zebras at my lfs but I'm sure I can find red zebras.

LeoDiaz
@LeoDiaz- well I'm interested in selective breeding and I want to study the genetics of cichlids. I love these fish so I'm also going to breed them by themselves as well thanks to my set up I made. I'm just breeding hybrids as well. They're really interesting and I love these little pets.

@Kiara- red zebras would look really nice! I found blue zebras at my lfs but I'm sure I can find red zebras.
Do you have experience with african/mbunas?

utkgreg
Yellow labs and red zebras can mix, along with electric blues and white labs!

WynterRose
@Leodias- yes I do. I've just haven't started breeding hybrids.

LeoDiaz
@Leodias- yes I do. I've just haven't started breeding hybrids.

Just making sure. The male you say you saw doing flips is not normal behavior.
P.s do you how to reply with quote?

WynterRose

yes I just forget to reply with quotes. Also, it wasn't like human flips, it's hard to explain, but it was just very hyper. XD it was the friendliest cichlid I've ever seen.

utkgreg

True Leo, it's not normal behavior, but it's not necessarily a bad behavior. I've seen it before in SA cichlids. I have mbuna that do their quirky things when they see me coming. I actually have a blue aceI that actually swims up in to my cupped palm and nuzzles there if allowed!

LeoDiaz
My aceI get so excited when I get near the tank he goes like bouncing across the tank hitting the shells I have in bottom. And is not because he has parasites or worms he is the dominate fish but not for long.

WynterRose
True Leo, it's not normal behavior, but it's not necessarily a bad behavior. I've seen it before in SA cichlids. I have mbuna that do their quirky things when they see me coming. I actually have a blue aceI that actually swims up in to my cupped palm and nuzzles there if allowed!

Yep, exactly. I've seen a lot of fish do abnormal things. A convict jumps out of the water for treats, a guppy becomes the bully instead of the beta, a female mouth brooder adopts fry the mother abandoned, etc. They all have different personalities like humans. Therefore, as my English professor said, "But what is normal?" because there's no such thing as normal. Common, yes, but not normal.

Jim
........................ Therefore, as my English professor said, "But what is normal?" because there's no such thing as normal. Common, yes, but not normal.

Semantics, nothing more!

utkgreg
I'm normal. I swear.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MoshJosh
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aysu
Replies