Breeding Honey Gouramis

bcsay720

Great news! The male and female pair of honeys I bought is interested in mating. The male finally got the hang of bubble nests today, and the female is interested. They're still a bit confused, I believe, about the whole thing, since this is the closest they've ever gotten to actually mating, so I have some time to figure this out: can I breed them in a breeder box in my main tank?

My male has been hanging in one corner of the tank all day attemping bubble nests, so I don't think this would be an issue for him. I would move the female in once he has a decent looking nest and remove her after they've spawned a few times. The biggest issue is, though, that he wouldn't really be able to "chase her away" from the nest, as they naturally do. Plus, I could harm the nest when I try to get her out.

I don't have a grow out tank available (I have two baby cories right now. All my fish matured at the same time, apparently), so I don't have many other choices besides letting the baby gouramis get eaten by my tetras once they let go of the bubble nest after hatching.

My other idea was trying to move the breeder box in under the eggs once they've already been put up there, but again... that could damage the nest and the eggs.

Let me know your thoughts.

Here's a picture of my pretty boy building today, just for fun.

Attachments

• 20210701_172417.jpg
    20210701_172417.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 20

jinjerJOSH22

A small plastic tub with a heater and plants? Anything over 2 gallons should be fine, you'll be changing the water several times a day after they spawn. You'll also want to start an infusoria culture to feed the fry as they are very, very small.

Just try your best with removing the female, he should rebuild the damaged nest if it ends up that way, just don't completely destroy it.

Keep in mind Honeys take a long time to get to a "sellable" size, where most take 3 to 5 months, Honeys will take 8 to 12 months. Not suggesting your going to sell them rather how long they are going to be vulnerable to predation.

I wish you luck in your adventure =)
(my breeding experience is very minimal, as in, so far only one species and they are in the fry stage)

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Thank you! I have First Bites that I got for my cories, but I didn't look into if it's good for the honeys.

I could try them in one of my 5g buckets, half-filled.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bettatakeover
Replies
Views
Fae
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies