Breeding Hermit Crabs

Is it possible to breed hermit crabs (land) without spending a fortune?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Depends on species

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua 59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it possible to breed purple pincher hermit crabs? I have heard its really really hard, but is it possible to do without spending a fortune on special equipment? Also, how do I sex hermit crabs? I have one named Carmen and would like to know for sure if it's a girl.

Thank you!

Jess

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many have 'bred' their PPs. The issue is that not a lot had great success in raising the young- till they are at stage that they can walk on the land.

Some dont spend a lot on specilised equipment, especially since one of the main 'ingredients' is salt... which all crabbers would have anyway. Jars work great at providing circular flow, which can be kept in a storage tote filled with water and an appropriately sized aquarium heater. Airline is used to provided the flow, so airpump and accessories would be needed but most likely a lot of crabbers have these anyway.

Sexing hermies is pretty easy. The female has these things called gonopores, which are two small dots located near the 5th paired walking segments underneath the crab. This requires a willing crab to come out of the shell, which many may not do... but if they do, and you see these small dots... congrats is a girl. If not, a boy.

OP
Aqua 59

Aqua 59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, I just looked at the crabs, and I have one female (I thought it was a male) and two males (one of which I thought was a female), so they might breed sometime!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, thank you! Where do hermit crabs lay their eggs? Also, how old do the crabs have to be to breed?
They lay their eggs in sw for them to hatch. Females tend to around the size of a med-large, while males tend to be bigger.... So in saying that, having adult hermies will help.
So, I just looked at the crabs, and I have one female (I thought it was a male) and two males (one of which I thought was a female), so they might breed sometime!
They may. A great way to increase breeding success is to try and replicate others who have had hermies breed in their tanks. There's quite a few members on the internet who have journals and can offer guidance on the subject, just pop into hermit crab related forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom