Breeding Help For Bladder Snails Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Hannah M, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Hannah M

Hannah MValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    So I'm trying to breed bladder snails as feeders and despite hearing a LOT about them breeding like aquatic rabbits mine just don't seem to feel the urge. I initially had a lot of eggs but recently have seen none and only one or two snail babies have hatched. Photo of tank they're in below. I have one much larger snail who *might* be a pond snail rather than bladder (pic below, he's about an inch) - would it eat bladder eggs? I'm feeding with algae disks and bits of veg every few days. Tank is heated to approx 32c (89f). Water change weekly.

Any thoughts on how to encourage my snails to get jiggy? IMG_20190817_164838.IMG_20190817_164851.IMG_20190817_164803_1.

2. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    The key is for them to breed is an abundance of available food clean water and calcium ....and some places for them to lay eggs even though they literally lay eggs anywhere and everywhere in the tank

Put the tank down to around 77 more on the cooler side bc warmer water shortens their life span
    ....that's how my bladder snail breeder tank is set up and I also breed ramshorn snails and Malaysian trumpet snails in this tank as feeders for my assassin snails.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Hannah M

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    Mmm, the heater I have is one which doesn't have variable temp unfortunately so I'll have to replace it unless they'd still breed with no heater. It's apparently a beta tank heater but it'd be criminal to use it for anything more than snails!

As for calcium - what's a good way of getting that into their diet? I've only ever used crushed shell to change levels in water.

4. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a lot of seashells I pre boil and keep in the tank as substrate and I make calcium snello for them with calcium supplement powder I had when I used to own a leopard gecko

5. LMO

LMOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +98
    Experience:
    3 years
    As Latrell said I think the temperature is too high for them. I would remove the heater if its not adjustable - I have bladder snails in my garden pond all year and they do really well. But the larger snail in the photos doesn't look like a bladder or pond snail with the shape of its shell - looks more like a kind of trapdoor snail. These might have different requirements and breeding rates. For calcium - I have used small pieces of cuttlefish bone and blanched spinach leaves - have you got KH, GH and pH readings for your tank water? What type of plant do you have in the tank - mine like to lay their eggs on plant leaves/stems.

6. OP
    OP
    Hannah M

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thanks. I have taken the heater out and will see how they do - honestly I didn't clock it hasnt got a thermostat in it until today so it's totally useless..! Its the shell isn't it - bladders swirl to the left (i think?) And that doesn't. In reality it doesn't matter what he is as long as he won't stop my bladders breeding. He's way too big for pea puffer food so I guess I've got a pet snail now.

The plant is just a fake one for cover as much as anything. I've not got adequate lights in the tank to grow anything really. I might put some smooth rocks and stuff for them to lay onto along with the cuttlefish bones which are a good idea.

pH is 7.5ish. As for kh and gh I don't actually know. I use the API master test and it doesn't come with either and cos my fish stock tanks are healthy and pH is steady I haven't worried too much as I don't keep any other inverts.

7. LMO

LMOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +98
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok - couldn't tell from the photo if the plant was real. Could you try java moss (will grow in low light) or egeria densa - I've only really found my bladder snail eggs laid on plants so that might encourage them?

8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    Definitely lower the temp or as you have already done remove the heater. Giving a little extra food will also help with an increased snail population. Any live low light plants will help. Java moss, java fern Anubis.guppy grass. putting floaters like frogbit will also help. It'll grow a biofilm and the snails will eat off and clean your plants at the same time. Just be careful what you wish for cause you could look in one day and have a snail explosion. :)

9. OP
    OP
    Hannah M

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'll put some java moss and frogbit in there. Any thoughts on substrate? I want a population explosion! They're by themselves destined to be feeders for hungry puffers!

10. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    Personally my favorite is pool filter sand its heavy where it stays down well if there any current and you can see the waste on the top of it instead of it going into the nooks of gravel and makes it easy to vacuum out. And being in a smaller tank like that you could use a piece of airline and a turkey baster to get the suction going. i do thatin my cory fry 5.5 and my betta/ember 5.5 and to make it easier i put a couple elastics around the airline and a skewer so you can swirl the sand a bit to raise up the waste and at the same time its not draining your tank fast. It's a bit more time consuming but its functional!

11. OP
    OP
    Hannah M

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    Update: I upgraded from the 7l/1.5g to a 20l/4g plastic tub which means the heater heats to a much better 27c/80f. Added a chunk of cuttle bone and have been feeding more veg as well as pellets.

I have SO MANY babies. Still waiting for the puffers to arrive at the LFS so the population will be very healthy by the time they arrive. Cheers for the advice.