Status
Not open for further replies.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello.

Just an idea here that I thought I would run by the forum (it's probably a dumb idea though).

I recently had it suggested to me to breed my own guppies for my blue crayfish to eat for a healthier treat source (he gets fed other stuff too). Now, if I were to put a single female in his tank, what would the probability of her dropping fry be? Also, could these fry in turn produce more fry before they're all eaten? Alternatively, what would the chances of having continuous fry treats without overpopulation be if a put a male/female pair of guppies be?

Like I said, probably a really dumb idea, but you don't learn if you don't ask. Thank you for your time.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any female you put in the tank is most likely already pregnant unless the pet store separates guppies by sex. If the female guppy manages to not get murdered by the crayfish, then it should be able to give birth to fry unless it eats them all after giving birth. The fry can produce more fry if you manage to keep them alive for 4-5 months and not being eaten by the crayfish.

It is also not recommended to keep guppies in pairs due to the harassment from the male.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this in a 10 gallon? I think there wouldn't be enough space for the fish to be able to keep away in a tank that size. I doubt they would make it to adulthood to reproduce.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you had a spare tank or are able to get a 10g or bigger then you will have an easier time with breeding them. im not sure if the guppies will have enough time to reproduce and grow if they were kept in the same tank as the crayfish

OP
JLeeM

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any female you put in the tank is most likely already pregnant unless the pet store separates guppies by sex. If the female guppy manages to not get murdered by the crayfish, then it should be able to give birth to fry unless it eats them all after giving birth. The fry can produce more fry if you manage to keep them alive for 4-5 months and not being eaten by the crayfish.

It is also not recommended to keep guppies in pairs due to the harassment from the male.
Is this in a 10 gallon? I think there wouldn't be enough space for the fish to be able to keep away in a tank that size. I doubt they would make it to adulthood to reproduce.
if you had a spare tank or are able to get a 10g or bigger then you will have an easier time with breeding them. im not sure if the guppies will have enough time to reproduce and grow if they were kept in the same tank as the crayfish
Gotcha. Well thanks for confirming my suspicions with this idea everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom