Breeding Guppies - How long to leave together?

Elle2128

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have some guppies that I want to start breeding. Up till this point, I have had my males and female separated. I just put 2 females and 1 male together in one half of the female tank. How long should I leave them together to ensure that they are bred, before putting the male back in his normal tank and taking out the divider? I would assume it won't take terribly long, but I don't want to take him out too soon.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Did your females have a gravid spot before breeding them to your male? If so they are probably not virgin females and would be carrying sperm packets. If not you could leave them together until you see the female getting a gravid spot and getting plump. I would suggest you breed two females to the male of have a lot of extra hiding places because the female will constantly get harassed.

OP
Elle2128

Elle2128

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They had gravid spots, but they have been separated from the males for months and no babies. My understanding was that all females have gravid spots though. I got all these as fry and separated them as soon as I could tell which were male and female. Currently have the male with 2 females.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As far as I know, that does not mean that the babies, if any, will have a 100% predictable father. Personally I would leave them in together, just throw a bunch of plants like moss, let them breed and feed them. No separating needed and its easy but efficient.

OP
Elle2128

Elle2128

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
flyinGourami said:
As far as I know, that does not mean that the babies, if any, will have a 100% predictable father. Personally I would leave them in together, just throw a bunch of plants like moss, let them breed and feed them. No separating needed and its easy but efficient.
I am just trying to cut down on the amount of guppy babies, but I don't want to keep the tank separated long term. I have 10 males and 5 females total, and currently have one male in with two females. I don't want to just dump everyone together and hope for the best, lol. There are plants already in the tank.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the female had a gravid spot before introducing the male she is already pregnant. You can keep the male in with her and they may breed, but you won't be able to be 100% sure who the father of the offspring is. If you want the male to go back to his regular tank after breeding, I would give him at least a week with the female to make sure he does the deed. Make sure the female doesn't get too stressed out by him. If the female continues to not birth fry after a month or so, I would try introducing the male again.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Elle2128,
To answer your question as best I can. I don’t have pure guppies but have their cousins endlers.
A male will try and breed with a female in about 5 minutes. She may not think he is a worthy parent. It’s possible for her to stop him from breeding with her for only so long. The job is done in a matter of seconds. I suggest 24 hours is more than enough time. She will have at least 3 batches of fry 28 days apart from just the one time with a male.

Taking him away before the first 28 days may make no difference to the number of batches of fry?

All the fish including mum will eat any fry that don’t hide.
Adding lots of hiding places is necessary when the fry are born but to remove the male fry (juveniles) you will need an almost bare tank.
Having plants in pots means you can remove everything to net fish each week as you see the males.

You will need to be very careful to separate any male fry in the female and fry tank as the males can breed at 3 months. That’s about the time I can just tell the difference between the genders.

New Threads