Breeding Green Terrors

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Cichlid Guy, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Cichlid GuyNew MemberMember

Hi all,

New to the forum and just getting back into fish-keeping after a long hiatus. I love cichlids and I've always thought green terrors were absolutely gorgeous. I have had them in the past but never tried breeding them. I have a 55 gallon tank sitting empty that I'd like to dedicate to this. Does anyone have any insight as to the best way to go about it? From what I hear, I buy 5-6 juveniles and wait for a solid pair to form, then return the others?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. OP
    OP
    C

Cichlid GuyNew MemberMember

Went out and bought 5 juvenile GT's for the tank today, all about 3" long. I think I got 2 males and 3 females, but only time will tell (kind of hard to sex at this age). I hope I get a nice robust pair, one of the males is really nice-looking, but they're all gorgeous. Can't wait for them to colour up after they adjust to their new home. Will upload pics as soon as I can.

3. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Sounds like an interesting project, hope you get a good pairing :)

4. GgAcE

GgAcEValued MemberMember

I wish you only the best of luck. Young they are amazing. As they get older? That many in one tank is sure to be dangerous. If they do pair, return the others sooner than later. If you get attached to all of them? 55 gallons is usually the minimum size for 1 adult.

Please keep us posted on the results! I had to trade in my GT. At 6 inches he DESTROYED my 12 in oscars & Florida gar. They survived but man was he a huge bully. Miss him though....

5. OP
    OP
    C

Cichlid GuyNew MemberMember

Yeah I have heard about them! I will definitely trade in my other three once I get a nice pair. The pair will be housed alone in the 55 long-term.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice