Important Breeding goldfish?

GoldfishNatalie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am not sure if this is "Important". But it is to me:
I have a 'school' of 6 goldfish in my main pond, all old enough to breed. I used to think I had 2 males and 4 females, but now I believe one of the ones I thought was female is male, and the rest are female.
I have seen the Sarasa Comet doing lots of chasing of the other ones (And it isn't bullying, for it is the newest fish and smaller than more than half the others) mainly my Lemon Comet, one of my Calico Shubunkins, and one of my Blue Calico Shubunkins. There has been lots of nose-to-butt chasing, but no eggs.
I have 2 big green leafy water plants in a corner of their pond, next to each other. The fish love to hide there, and they get lots of food, but I have seen no eggs at all so far.
Do you think it is because there is to many options for my Sarasa Comet? Or that the pond is too big and the females can easily get away and it is distracted with another?
Would a good idea to be; place the Sarasa Comet and the female it is most interested in a separate smaller 'pond' with the plants and it is just the 2 of them? Do you think they would breed then?
Also, would I have more luck with a female that is a little bigger, or smaller than it?
Please answer soon! :)

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

srw123

Reaction score
Patience I reckon. Breeding season in NSW would presumably run until end of February, at least.

Just make sure there’s enough plants or algae for them to spawn onto. Otherwise drop an artificial spawning mop or whatever these pros use.

New Threads