20 Gallon Tank Breeding ghost shrimp in a community tank

Livebearer08

Hi, I have a 20 gallon long community and I’m wondering if ghost shrimp would breed if I added some. I have a dwarf gourami that would definitely eat some shrimplets, which is fine, but I just want to know if they would have shrimplets in the first place. I’m also wondering if cories would eat the shrimp. Thanks.

JuDom

Hello. :)
Under the right circumstances, almost all shrimp are nearly effortless to breed.
They have very minuscule bioload so you could keep quite a few in a 20 gal. So long as the tank is cycled and water parameters are stable. Shrimp are very sensitive to the presence of ammonia.

I’d recommend purchasing at least 20 to start off, so that you ensure a good ratio of males to females. Also, they follow the safety in numbers rule.
The females are noticeably larger than the males. Providing lots of live plant cover, hiding places and slightly warmer temps, 80° should spark breeding.

As a heads up, not only your fish will eat the shrimplets..the adult shrimp will also. To ensure their survival, some people choose to breed their shrimp separately..remove the adults and then raise the shrimplets until they’re large enough not to be eaten. But! Arguably, this is not the way nature works and I think that keeping them all in the main tank is fine...your gourami will definitely enjoy the snacks. ;)

Upvote 0

Livebearer08

Do you think enough will survive to keep breeding after the first batch of adults die?

Upvote 0

JuDom

Do you think enough will survive to keep breeding after the first batch of adults die?
Ghost shrimp typically live for about a year..sometimes more. Once they start breeding..they won’t stop most likely so your chances of continuing your population are very good. But they’re also very inexpensive, I pay .35¢ a piece at my LFS. Every once in a while I’ll add some newbies to my community tank to ensure there’s “new blood” persay to keep them from being too inbred.
Once they get going, you’ll have a hard time keeping track of how many you have. The population explodes quickly but you can keep up to 10 shrimp per gallon so no worries there. Having the other adults plus your fish will help keep the population under control. :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Zach72202
10 Gallon Tank Ember tetras breeding?
Replies
Views
greengoddess
Replies
Views