Breeding German Blue Rams

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by cwb141, Dec 27, 2009.

1. cwb141

cwb141Valued MemberMember

I read the fish profile here: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/blue-ram-cichlid.htm and on some other sites. I want to get a pair of GBRs to go in my 29 gallon after I move the other fish into a 75 gallon.

Question 1: Are GBRs compatible with Kuhli loaches? I'm not sure if I would be able to keep 6 Kuhlis with 2 GBRs in a 29 gallon, especially if I'm trying to breed the GBR pair. I can move the Kuhlis into the 75 gallon, but I don't plan on having them in there unless I have no other option.

Question 2: Do GBRs require any sort of nudge to get them to breed? I know with some fish there are certain triggers that cause them to start breeding. All I was able to find is a lower pH level for a breeding pair (max of 6.5 instead of 7.0).

Question 3: What sort of decorations promote breeding in GBRs? Do I need a cave-like area or flat rock? I expect to have a couple lava rocks, an obsidian sculpture, and live plants.

Question 4: Will a GBR pair eat their fry? Self explanatory.

Thanks for any help.

2. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

1. I honestly don't know if Kuhli's will eat the eggs and or if the pair will kill them once they spawn.

2. Your main thing will be the PH. When I was in Kentucky I had a few pairs, well male and female anyways, I could never spawn them because of my water. They lived and did well but would not spawn for nothing. I know a few people who have spawned them in a little higher PH but most need to get it down a bit. Water changes, big and a little bit of a temp swing could help like with lots of cichlids, but I think if you get the PH right and have a mature pair you should have success.

3. Either or its up to you. Lots of people use the terra cotta pots and a piece of slate standing up right. But honestly if you have a pair of cichlids that are ready to do their thing they will find a place. I have had many different cichlids spawn on the glass of the tanl when given no other choices.

4. All cichlids may eat the first few spawns, like riding a bike they gotta get the hang of what they are doing. Good news is once they do it they will continue to. The hard part probably 80% of the time is getting a compatable pair.

Good luck.

Brian

3. OP
    OP
    cwb141

cwb141Valued MemberMember

Thanks Brian, I really hope I can get them to spawn. Whether or not they do I'll be happy to have a tank devoted to them.

4. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Right on dude, good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice