Breeding German Blue Rams

1. cwb141 Member Member

I read the fish profile here: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/blue-ram-cichlid.htm and on some other sites. I want to get a pair of GBRs to go in my 29 gallon after I move the other fish into a 75 gallon.

Question 1: Are GBRs compatible with Kuhli loaches? I'm not sure if I would be able to keep 6 Kuhlis with 2 GBRs in a 29 gallon, especially if I'm trying to breed the GBR pair. I can move the Kuhlis into the 75 gallon, but I don't plan on having them in there unless I have no other option.

Question 2: Do GBRs require any sort of nudge to get them to breed? I know with some fish there are certain triggers that cause them to start breeding. All I was able to find is a lower pH level for a breeding pair (max of 6.5 instead of 7.0).

Question 3: What sort of decorations promote breeding in GBRs? Do I need a cave-like area or flat rock? I expect to have a couple lava rocks, an obsidian sculpture, and live plants.

Question 4: Will a GBR pair eat their fry? Self explanatory.

Thanks for any help.

2. btate617 Well Known Member Member

1. I honestly don't know if Kuhli's will eat the eggs and or if the pair will kill them once they spawn.

2. Your main thing will be the PH. When I was in Kentucky I had a few pairs, well male and female anyways, I could never spawn them because of my water. They lived and did well but would not spawn for nothing. I know a few people who have spawned them in a little higher PH but most need to get it down a bit. Water changes, big and a little bit of a temp swing could help like with lots of cichlids, but I think if you get the PH right and have a mature pair you should have success.

3. Either or its up to you. Lots of people use the terra cotta pots and a piece of slate standing up right. But honestly if you have a pair of cichlids that are ready to do their thing they will find a place. I have had many different cichlids spawn on the glass of the tanl when given no other choices.

4. All cichlids may eat the first few spawns, like riding a bike they gotta get the hang of what they are doing. Good news is once they do it they will continue to. The hard part probably 80% of the time is getting a compatable pair.

Good luck.

Brian

3. cwb141 Member Member

Thanks Brian, I really hope I can get them to spawn. Whether or not they do I'll be happy to have a tank devoted to them.

4. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Right on dude, good luck.