Breeding for profit 20 gallon long

N13

Hello! I have been researching in the reef side of the hobby and I am currently getting all the equipment I need just one problem, everything I need is expensive! Total cost of all the equipment is about 1,000 dollars, so I decided I need to make some money and what better way to do it with fish! The 20 gallon long is currently freshwater but I am planning to move it to a saltwater reef tank (with equipment) in about a year, so is there any good freshwater fish to breed for profit in my 20 gallon long, the fish can't be too expensive because im trying to earn money not waste it ! Any advice will be nice, thanks again.

Madchild57

Hello! I have been researching in the reef side of the hobby and I am currently getting all the equipment I need just one problem, everything I need is expensive! Total cost of all the equipment is about 1,000 dollars, so I decided I need to make some money and what better way to do it with fish! The 20 gallon long is currently freshwater but I am planning to move it to a saltwater reef tank (with equipment) in about a year, so is there any good freshwater fish to breed for profit in my 20 gallon long, the fish can't be too expensive because im trying to earn money not waste it ! Any advice will be nice, thanks again.
I think Apistogramma cichlids could be good. They're pretty easy to breed too.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Things to consider when selling fish are is it worth your time and effort?, do people want that type of fish?, how are you planning on selling locally, online? If your selling online you need shipping supplies to ensure a healthy arrival, if your selling local does anyone even keep fish or interested in this type? Fish sell for more when they are juvenile or adults. So your looking at about 6-8 months before you even sell your fish if you want to sell them at a decent price. Also if these aren’t community fish they will need their own tank meaning more money spent

Upvote 0

mimo91088

You'll make more off plants than fish. And it will be much easier in that tank size.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Will a heavily planted tank with java moss and java fern work? I can add cherry shrimp to sell too, I might just sell them to my LFS for store credit
Those plants both sell well, but grow slowly. You'd want to add in some fast growing stem plants too.

Upvote 0

N13

Those plants both sell well, but grow slowly. You'd want to add in some fast growing stem plants too.
Any plants you recommend, should I add co2 / ferts or a good light?

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

I've sold about $1000 (CAD) worth of plants in the last year and a half or so; mostly frogbit, flame moss, hornwort, baby java ferns, and sußwassertang out of my 20 gallon tank. The best recommendation I can make is go buy a bottle of decent fertilizer.

Keep track of what you're selling, how much you've spent, and how much you're making. I have a seperate bank account for aquarium money - so far I've ALMOST saved enough to pay for two of my three kids to go to Disneyland!

Sell the things that people want to buy. If a dozen people in your area are all selling ludwigia stems for a buck a piece, maybe buy some crypts instead. Cherry shrimp and "pest" snails also bring in some cash and are easy in a planted tank. I'll routinely sell a bag of 25 snails for $10 to someone who has a puffer.

A lot of it depends on your location - if you're in a small town that's a 45+ minute drive from the nearest city, your local market won't be great. If you're located in a suburb where lots of people might start up a tank for their kids, you'll have way more sales. I never ship; I can't be bothered to buy special packing materials and run to the post office that's 10 minutes away twice a week just do I can cover my costs with shipping, but if you're within walking distance, maybe it's worth it.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Any plants you recommend, should I add co2 / ferts or a good light?
You can do an easy liquid fert like thrive or easy green. CO2 would be too expensive for a short term project IMO, that would majorly eat in to your profits. Focus on easy popular plants. For every person buying expensive buce, there's 20 other people who just want cheap easy plants. Rare is usually rare for a reason.

Upvote 0

N13

I've sold about $1000 (CAD) worth of plants in the last year and a half or so; mostly frogbit, flame moss, hornwort, baby java ferns, and sußwassertang out of my 20 gallon tank. The best recommendation I can make is go buy a bottle of decent fertilizer.

Keep track of what you're selling, how much you've spent, and how much you're making. I have a seperate bank account for aquarium money - so far I've ALMOST saved enough to pay for two of my three kids to go to Disneyland!

Sell the things that people want to buy. If a dozen people in your area are all selling ludwigia stems for a buck a piece, maybe buy some crypts instead. Cherry shrimp and "pest" snails also bring in some cash and are easy in a planted tank. I'll routinely sell a bag of 25 snails for $10 to someone who has a puffer.

A lot of it depends on your location - if you're in a small town that's a 45+ minute drive from the nearest city, your local market won't be great. If you're located in a suburb where lots of people might start up a tank for their kids, you'll have way more sales. I never ship; I can't be bothered to buy special packing materials and run to the post office that's 10 minutes away twice a week just do I can cover my costs with shipping, but if you're within walking distance, maybe it's worth it.
Thanks a lot! I might just use the breeding to get store credit which will help me buy more aquariums supply, thanks for the info! Also can I have gardneri killifish with the cherry shrimp or will they eat them?

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

Thanks a lot! I might just use the breeding to get store credit which will help me buy more aquariums supply, thanks for the info! Also can I have gardneri killifish with the cherry shrimp or will they eat them?
I'd be concerned about predation, as well as jumping! Do you have a tight fitting lid?

As a point of interest, since I started up my tank I've made slightly more than $100 on fish (guppies, almost all of it by selling fry for ≤$1 each!), but 10x that amount in plants. Fish will earn you some money, probably. But plants are where the money is.

Upvote 0

N13

I'd be concerned about predation, as well as jumping! Do you have a tight fitting lid?

As a point of interest, since I started up my tank I've made slightly more than $100 on fish (guppies, almost all of it by selling fry for ≤$1 each!), but 10x that amount in plants. Fish will earn you some money, probably. But plants are where the money is.
alright I will do a shrimp /fish tank (for some fun lol) and heavily plant it
Any tips for adding a co2 system will be nice

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Any tips for adding a co2 system will be nice

I have a tip for a CO2 system. If you're planning on having shrimp don't do it. They won't handle the pH swings well.

Upvote 0

N13

I have a tip for a CO2 system. If you're planning on having shrimp don't do it. They won't handle the pH swings well.
Any fish / inverts you do recommend?

Upvote 0

kansas

You can plants in plastic tubs.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Any fish / inverts you do recommend?

On the fish, not really. If it was me I'd stick with the shrimp and plants plan, but skip the CO2. As far as plants, it's difficult to say what will work in your area. I've sold quite a few plants to local stores, but I made my decisions based on what they didn't have. They had plenty of stem plants, but I hadn't seen guppy grass or pearl weed in any of them, and very little Java moss, so that's what I've concentrated on trying to sell. I have two stores that will take all of those I can bring.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

On the fish, not really. If it was me I'd stick with the shrimp and plants plan, but skip the CO2. As far as plants, it's difficult to say what will work in your area. I've sold quite a few plants to local stores, but I made my decisions based on what they didn't have. They had plenty of stem plants, but I hadn't seen guppy grass or pearl weed in any of them, and very little Java moss, so that's what I've concentrated on trying to sell. I have two stores that will take all of those I can bring.
Part of the reason for scarcity of guppy grass is that I hear it doesn't hold up to shipping. But it is pretty highly desired as it's always recommended for fry cover. That could be a very good choice if you intend to sell locally.

Upvote 0

kansas

Where I live, the water is very hard. One of the LFS sells locally grown Java Moss for more because it's used to our high mineral, high ph water.

Upvote 0

N13

Alright thanks! Ill do research on maintaining CO2 levels stable to not get any ph swings, then ill do a species tank of harlequin rasboras, thanks for the replies! My LFS doesn't have too much pearlweed so I can sell that, most likely will be selling java moss and java fern however

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GrandGinkgo
  • Question
Replies
Views
AvaTheFish
  • Question
Replies
Views